Chapter 17 - Once Upon an Angel

As they drifted back inside, leaving Cassie crouched beside Archer, Azrael kept his eyes fixed on Letha.

"You pair are welcome to stay the night," he muttered, wincing as he added, "As is your cousin."

Instantly, Letha bristled, straightening to her full height. Hadrian caught her expression and grabbed her elbow. His sister let out growl as his fingers dug into her flesh, but he was relentless.

"Thank you, Azrael," Hadrian said, his eyes wide with gratitude, "That would be great." When his sister continued to squirm, he turned to hiss at her, "What's the alternative Letha? Man up and be thankful."

Her brother's calm logic stilled her, and Letha grudgingly raised her chin a fraction, nodding tersely at Mickey, who waited to the side. He watched her from under dark lashes, biting down on a smile. Glancing between them, Gabe shuffled forward. He slung an arm across Mickey's shoulder, pursing his lips.

"I don't think Zach ended up getting a pizza," he said, as a wide smirk spreading across his face, "but we have some left over lasagne if either of you are hungry?"

Hadrian's stomach grumbled, and the man laughed, "That's one! How about you, Letha?"

She scowled, "Who cooked it?"

There was a moment of silence, before someone spoke from behind her.

"That would be me."

Spinning, Letha glared at Cassie, her lip drawn up in a snarl, "Then I'd rather eat rat poison."

She was leaning in the doorway, Archer's strained features visible past her as he studied the ceiling.

"That can be arranged."

"Great," Letha clapped her hands together with fake perk, "then Hadrian and I can both die of food poisoning."

Mickey hid his laugh in a cough, "At least you know the cemetery well enough to find the best places."

Gabe snorted, poking the boy in the ribs, "yeah, they can get adjoining plots."

Both laughed unabashedly, before they separated. The elder guided Hadrian into the kitchen and Cassie stormed after them, shivering slightly.

"I'm going to take a shower," she muttered.

Urnest rose slowly, following quietly, and Zach rose too. He rolled his neck.

"I could eat."

Letha ground her teeth slowly, sinking into the armchair. She watched Mickey meander to the fire, squatting down to warm his hands. He jerked a look over his shoulder, grinning when he saw her looking and let out a breath.

"so...You're the Devil's daughter."

Studying the floor, Letha shrugged, "Technically I'm the Devil's granddaughter."

"Of course you are," the boy snorted, "Otherwise it's just too simple."

"Simple?" Letha said with a desperate laugh, throwing back her head. When her eyes flashed back to Mickey's, Letha's voice was gravelly, "says the guy who follows me around. Says the guy who turns up at my house at midnight without knowing why. Says the guy with an Angel in his head!"

Mickey snorted, "All better?"

"No, not really," Letha growled, dragging her fingers through the hair by her temples, "I've got to ask; are you a m&m or red brick?"

Very slowly, the boy rose. Scratching his chin, Mickey raised an eyebrow.

"I have absolutely no idea what that means."