Chapter 14 - Satisfaction Brought it Back

When Azrael stepped around the corner, Hadrian and Letha were sitting on the edge of the window sill, their heads leaning on the glass. He blinked at them.

“Good evening.”

“No,” Letha corrected, her smile sickly sweet, “That would be an evening when we didn’t get busted looking in your window by your arty-farty…son, I’m assuming.”

Azrael nodded.

Hadrian dug his hands further into his pockets, “Technically it was only you who got caught.”

“Are we gonna do this now?” his sister snapped.

Biting down on a grin, the man waved his hand to recapture their attention, “Would you like to come in?”

Letha looked at her brother, weighing the situation; imminent death, or whatever awaited them inside. “Yeah. Thanks.”

As they trailed in after him, Azrael shot each of his family a stern look, a warning, his frown lingering on Cassie.

“I’ll behave,” she grumbled.

Letha wandered slowly around the corner, her eyes falling on Cassie and she clapped once, “Oh, look; an emotionally unstable cow!”

Gabe and Mickey snickered, and Cassie glared at Azrael, “I thought people usually take the trash out.”

The man winced, “I though you said you’d be nice.”

“Turns out I lied.”

Hadrian, standing behind his sister, met Mickey’s eyes and smiled. The boy grinned back, starting forward, but both girl’s shot glares his way.

“Woah! Bessie, Recycling,” he said, raising both hands, “White flag!”

He sidestepped both of them, scurrying over to Hadrian. Standing beside him, arms folded across his chest and legs shoulder width apart, he assessed the room.

“Hey man,” Mickey murmured, “How’s the battlefield look from here?”

The boy smiled, “Dangerous.”

“Deadly,” Mickey agreed.

“Daunting.” Scary

“Ooh, nice word,” he grimaced, “Accurate.”

Gabe leant across to Azrael, scratching his beard, “I can’t tell whether he’s brave or stupid to cross both of them.”

Suddenly tired, the other man stepped forward, “If you’re all quite finished arguing and mocking, perhaps I could ask a question.” With all eyes on him, he continued. “How long were you pair at the window?”

“Long enough,” Letha snarled, “to have some seriously big questions.”

“Which we can answer,” Azrael said, nodding, “up to a point.”

“I guarantee you – that point will be the end of the answer.”

“If you insist.” He sunk into the armchair, gesturing to the couch opposite, but Letha manoeuvred over to the window, leaning against it.

“I started the conversation over here,” she stated, “I’ll finish it over here.”

Mickey nodded at her brother and led him to the couch, falling in beside Urnest. Hadrian sat beside him, on the edge of the cushions, with his eyes constantly flicking around the room. He licked his lips nervously. Ignoring Mickey’s encouraging smile, Letha focused on Azrael.

“Firstly, why the Hell does your son keep showing up at our house? He never seems to know why.”

Azrael sucked his teeth, “I asked Mickey to check out the house, because I thought it was being used for something that it has become obvious it isn’t being used for, at which point he discovered that you and your family live there.”