Chapter 26 - The Descent Into Hell

Letha was leaning against the building as Mickey emerged. The rain had stopped, leaving the street slick with water.

"Now what?" she demanded, rocking her head to face him. She wasn't glaring, didn't seem to be angry, but her expression was bleak.

"I don't know," Mickey said with a smile and a happy shrug, "What do you feel like doing? We could go and see a movie? Or go to the park?"

Letha glanced at her watch: 11:30. "Whatever you want."

He made a noise, drumming his fingers on his thigh. After a moment, he smiled. "I've got it!" Mickey exclaimed, starting down the footpath. Glancing behind her once, Letha followed.

"So what are we doing?"

Mickey grinned from ear to ear, eyes alight with excitement. "That's for me to know and you to find out."

"I hate surprises," Letha growled.

"I've noticed."

Practically humming, Mickey lead her down the street, turning left then right and then right again. "Remind me I parked in front of Min's, ok?"

Letha nodded. "Sherlock?"

He stopped, turning to her in surprise. "Yes, Letha?"

"You parked in front of Min's."

Mickey slumped forwards, rolling his eyes. "You're hilarious."

"I know," she muttered smugly, trailing after him as he continued walking.

They reached a crossing and Mickey pressed the button, waiting for the man to flash green.

"oh," Letha sighed, "You're one of those."

Mickey looked at her, hands in his pockets. "one of those?"

"Yeah. Those people who don't jaywalk even if there isn't a car in sight for," she glanced twirled in a circle, gesturing to the empty roads around them, "oh, I don't know, five kilometres!"

At that point, a small blue car trembled up the road, crawling through the crossing. The old man at the wheel nodded to them and then focussed on the road again.

"See," Mickey said indignantly, "that car could have hit us."

Letha shook her head. "No, I'm not that lucky."

The man turned green just as a small child toppled onto the road. The toddler's lip quivered and she threw back her head, tears cascading down her face as she let out a wail. Instantly, Mickey was at her side, picking the kid up and soothing her. A frazzled woman, baby in one arm, shopping bags in the other and a phone somehow clamped to her ear rushed over, smiling gratefully at Mickey as she mouthed a thank you.

"Look Brian," she said into the phone, "I have to go..." She frowned as he cut her off. "No, the kids..." the baby in her arms started to whimper, disturbed by his sister's sobs, and Mickey stepped closer.

Letha had slunk over and he palmed the child into her arms. "Woah!"

"Just hold her for a minute, Letha," Mickey urged, claiming the shopping bags from the mother, "She won't bite."

The little girl went quiet very suddenly and gnashed her teeth at the big girl, who cringed away. "You sure about that?"

Big blue eyes wide, the toddler stared at Letha, her chubby fingers slowly moving to wind in her curls. With a wicked grin, she tugged.

"Hey! Ow." Letha twisted her hair free, holding the girl at arms length. She just giggled, squirming to get back to her new toy.

"Mickey!"