Chapter 12 - Prodigal Children

Letha first reaction was to run to the door, closing it as quietly and quickly as she could. Hadrian had paled, but rose onto shaky legs, casting Mickey a worried look.

“You can’t be here,” he said.

Mickey shrugged, “Parents love me, don’t worry about it.” He sounded nonchalant, but his eyes licked over Letha’s injuries in concern.

The girl in question turned back, “Hadrian’s right. Our Father will kill you if he finds you here.”

Hadrian’s eyes widened further, and his lips parted.

“He wouldn’t…” he mumbled.

Mickey didn’t hear him, “I don’t know how to climb down from your window anyway. I went out Hadrian’s last time.”

“Fine then,” Letha snapped, stepping across the room and hauling him to his feet by the arm, “we can accommodate that.”

Hadrian followed meekly as his sister hauled Mickey to the door, swinging it wide. She stopped it with her own foot quickly though, wedging her face in gap.

“Uncle Libido,” she said weakly.

Hadrian freaked out, jumping high in the air, and tore Mickey’s arm from Letha’s grip. He pushed the stunned boy across the room.

“Libido?” Mickey mouthed.

“Letha,” their uncle said outside, inhaling his own putrid smell like it was perfume, “Is your brother in there with you?”

She nodded tersely, “yes. He is.”

Hadrian flung open her cupboard, shoving the coat hangers aside and forcing Mickey in.

Lust pursed his lips, his eyes brightening, “And you are being promiscuous!”

Letha’s draw fell, and inside the room, both boys looked aghast, “Excuse me? No!”

“It is not your fault,” Uncle Libido sighed, “I told my brother he needed to bring in some … companionship for the pair of you, but he resisted!”

“I am not,” Letha yelled, her cheeks red, “promiscu-ating with my brother!”

Catching his niece’s chin, Lust smiled suggestively. His thumb ran across her cheek, hitting her bruises, but Letha refused to flinch.

“Don’t lie to me; I can smell the sexual tension,” he breathed deeply, his nostrils flaring, “And it smells good.”

In answer to Mickey’s raised eyebrow, Hadrian gestured between Mickey and his sister, and then formed a cross and gestured between him and his sister; you and she, not me and she. He seemed happy with that, grinning as Hadrian shut the door.

“My brother wants you downstairs,” Lust sighed, releasing Letha’s face, “Now.”

“Just give us a minute,” she replied, ducking back inside her room and slamming the door. Flicking the lock, she shuddered, shaking her hands and grimacing.

Hadrian looked offended, “Hey now!”

Putting her hands between them, his sister made a noise, “I’m not even going there, Hadrian!” she looked around, “Where’d you put the boy?”

Mickey’s muffled voice resonated as Hadrian pointed to the cupboard, “I have a name, you know!”

“Cattle stations have names too,” Letha muttered before turning on her brother, “Why is he in my cupboard.”

Unsure how to reply, Hadrian opened his mouth and took a breath. He then shut his mouth and swallowed, looking at the ceiling.

“I’m not sure,” he finally said, licking his lips, “It was a reflex.”