Chapter 13

Chapter 13

It was my mom. My mom was standing in the doorway. She was wearing jeans and a black T-shirt. Her blonde hair was tied up in a ponytail and she looked really pretty. She smiled at me and Max. I just stood there, stupefied. No doubt Max would have the same expression on his face. I was staring at my mom like she would disappear if i blinked or looked away.  “Hi” she said. When she spoke I walked up to her and hugged her so hard that I’m sure she must have got hurt but it seems she didn’t care because she hugged me back to. Then when she let go of me Max walked up to her and hugged her.

“Who’s it?” I heard Karen saying. I turned around as she walked into the room. I and Max stood to the side as Karen entered the room. She saw my mom and stopped in her tracks. “Kate?” she said weakly. My mom nodded slightly and smiled. Karen walked to her and hugged her. “I’m so glad to see you. Come on in. Why are you standing outside?” Karen said. My mom laughed and said “The kids were too busy hugging me to invite me inside.”

I and Max laughed as well.  Julian walked in “Karen have you seen my.......” when he saw my mom he stopped dead in his tracks. “Kate? Is it really you? I haven’t seen you in so long.” He came forward and embraced her as well. We all sat down and we spent some time catching up. I told mom all about my foster parents and how they were really nice. I told her all about Allison and how she was the best friend and all the crazy things we used to do before my foster parents died.

After two hours I still had trouble believing that my mom wasn’t dead. She was alive and sitting in front me talking to me. It felt so weird because my ‘dead’ mother was sitting in front me and chatting with me. After some time my mom got a bit serious and asked what we could do. I and Max were a bit confused but then she clarified. “Your powers, what can you?”  “I can read and control minds and see in the future, Max can read and control minds, become invisible and modulate his voice so that people listen to him.” I replied.

“OK. We’ll have to start their training straight away Julian. They need to learn to develop all their other powers.” 

“What other powers? I thought that what we could do right now was all we could.” Max asked, with a blank look on his face. “No, of course not. You think your father defeated Desparo just by becoming invisible?” she replied with a hint of pride in her voice. “No, the powers you have right now are the powers you were born with. You can develop other powers if you concentrate.”

“Can we start right away?” I asked eagerly. Mom smiled at my eagerness. She said “Yes of course but let me rest for some time. I’ve had a long journey and I need to rest.” My mom was supposed to sleep with me so she went into my room and literally fell asleep as soon as her head touched the pillow. Karen smiled at seeing my mom fast asleep. “She must be tired. Why don’t you two run along and play a game.”

We went into the fourth room and sat on the bean-bags. Max removed Sequence again and we played for a long time. I looked at the digital clock in my phone and saw that it read 6:00. We played for a little more time and then finally my mother woke up. We had tea and finally I dragged my mom to the training room.

“All right.”  My mom said “The first thing you need to understand about magic is if you are gonna use it to do any physical job it’s gonna take almost as much energy as if you were actually doing the job. For example if you are moving a boulder then you would take only slightly less energy compared to if you were actually shifting the boulder. That is why you should be careful when using magic. If you spend all your energy then the magic will tap into your life force and it can actually kill you. ”

“Wow.” I said. “Has anyone died that way? You know because of using too much magic.” “Only inexperienced kids because they don’t know this simple rule of magic. Most actions are easy to end and but some like moving a really large boulder can take up to much energy and it is not easy to stop their movement midway. That’s why when you are moving a boulder try to merge you strength and even then move it only small distances at a time. And also know that even small actions like controlling minds and reading them take up energy. Just a particle of energy but energy nonetheless.”

“First of all, you need to learn how to communicate with your minds. It’s easy enough to understand if not easy to do. Simply think of each other. Concentrate on your faces and think of the thing you want to say. You need to do this only this time, though. After the first time you only need to picture him and think of the message you want to send to him. It works over any distances and even if one of you is on the North Pole and the other on the South Pole you can still tell each other how cold it is. If you want to deliberately close you’re connection or if someone is trying to break into your mind you have to concentrate on only one thing. Anything. As long as you’re concentration doesn’t waver. If you close your connection you have to do this all over again. Go on. Try it.” My mom said.

I closed my eyes and thought of him. Suddenly I felt his thoughts. “MAX” I thought. He heard me because he replied “ Alexis! You did it.” “Apparently because i am talking to you.

We both opened our eyes and smiled at each other. My mother seemed impressed. “That was quick. Anyway this is enough for now. Get some rest and we will start again tomorrow.”

We both left the room with mom behind us and smiled at each other. Now we could talk to each other even when we were in different rooms. Cool.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

yes I am still very much in existence,

I'm sincerely sorry about the late updates. I had exams and i just never got to it. I hope guys like the chapter. It is not proof read or edited so just bear with me.

Have fun.

And don't forget to be awesome, 

Cheers ;)