Chapter 8

Then Max, Julian and I went down to the car park while Karen locked the door. When we reached it Julian took out the car keys and unlocked the car. When I saw the car my mouth fell open. It was a Audi freaking Q7. Max burst out laughing when he saw my face. “Your expression is priceless, sis. Oh God, wish I had a camera.” He said.

I frowned “You did have a camera you dimwit. Don’t you have your phone with you?” I said. “I do, but the moments passed. Can you do that face again?” he said, still laughing. “It’s an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.” I huffed. When we were fighting Julian had already gone ahead started the car and he got the car to where we were standing.

He rolled down the window and said “Done fighting. Come on get in. Your aunt will be down anytime.” We got in the back and Karen came down. She got in the car and we exited the car park. “So, where do you want to go first?” Julian asked me. “Where can we go?” I replied. “Rockefeller, Empire state, Times Square, Central park, Ground Zero” Max recited.

“Empire state.” I said. “Can we also go see the Chrysler building?” “Sure honey.” Karen replied. So off we went to Empire state. In the back Max showed me how to get songs onto my phone. I started getting lots of songs from iTunes on my phone.

By the time we reached I had lots of songs on my phone. I got out of the car and when I saw Empire state my mouth fell open. Saying the Empire state was tall was like saying the Pacific Ocean was just a body of water in other words it was the understatement of the year. Julian got out the tickets and he gave them to the guy outside.

We walked in towards the escalator. We went up and had to wait for some time for the elevator to come down and we rode the elevator to the 82nd floor. We stepped out and went on to the observation deck. The view was amazing. It was breath-taking. I was still a bit nervous about being on heights especially on the 82nd floor but I overcame it.

After around 20 minutes it started raining so we had to go back down. After we went down Max and I felt famished so off to McDonalds we went. I had my favourite hamburger with fries and coke. Max had a chicken burger. Karen and Julian didn’t have anything as they were not hungry.

After we went we went to the Chrysler building. I just saw it from outside but it too was pretty tall. After that we went back home. When we reached home I was surprisingly tired. I just went into my room, turned off the lights and fell asleep.

 I had a weird dream. I saw my mother, the woman in the picture Julian had shown to me, talking on the phone with someone. She was saying “I have to meet Alexis. You have to let me meet her. Please, you can’t do this to me. I thought she was dead. I thought she died with Michael. Please Karen.” Karen. Did she mean my aunt? “Let me meet her.” I stared at my mother’s face. The one I thought was dead.

She did not look like the woman in the picture anymore. Her eyes did not sparkle anymore and her blonde hair was greying but she still had that sort of sweet, motherly look. I heard the woman on the other end reply and my mother let out a sigh of relief and smiled happily and the gleam returned to her eyes, momentarily. But it was gone as quickly as it had come. “Thank you Karen. You don’t know how grateful I am.” The woman on the other line said something and my mom replied “I miss you too.” Then she cut the phone.

I woke up with a start and tried to calm myself. I got up and saw that it was just 12:30, which meant I was asleep for just half an hour. I got up and walked. All the others were in the hall and Karen was just getting off the phone. I remembered my mom mentioning Karen and I thought it could have been Karen as she just got off the phone but then I reminded myself that my mother was dead. It was just a stupid dream but I couldn’t help but hope a little.

“What happened Alexis? You look a little rattled. I thought you were sleeping.” Karen asked looking a bit concerned. Julian and Max looked up from looking out of the window and playing on their phone respectively. I took a deep breath and said “I just had a stupid dream but it felt so real.” And I told them my dream. When I was finished I said “I mean it’s impossible as my mom’s dead. It’s just a silly dream.”

 I looked at Max and saw him look at Karen. Karen took a deep breath and said “Alexis I need to tell you something I should have told you the moment you arrived.....”

------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors note- Hey guys hope you like this chapter i took a little time with it. I am sorry for any delay. I was too busy being a bit excited for my birthday next week.

Comment, vote and follow.

Cheers,

Anushka.