12. Just That

OK I AM SO SORRY THIS IS SO SHORT AND I AM ALSO SO SO SO SO SORRY THIS IS BEYOND LATE LIKE IT'S A MONTH LATE AND I SHOULD NOT BE DOING THAT. it's just that i have been stressed and constantly busy from school and then i have major writing block when i try to find time to write ): i hope to update really soon since i am slowly navigating over the hard parts of the novel. i have a lot planned but it's just hard getting to those stages. sorry again for disappointing you guys ): hope you all are doing lovely otherwise! xx

_____________________________________________________________

Harry's POV: 

"You're welcome," I cooly reply as we just stand there in silence.

"Tell me when someone's bothering you, okay?" I decide to add in. Anything to cut the quietness that rests between us. She nods and just as I imagine us to continue to remain in this position for God knows how long, she closes the gap between us and leaves a chaste peck on my cheek. The bell rings literally right after and she gives me one last small smile before making her way to fifth period, no doubt.

I turn to watch her enter the doors again, her back faced to me as my feet remain rooted to the ground. The faint gesture brought heat to my face and warmth to my heart. 

Selena's POV: 

"So, you want to tell me why you've been absent at work?" Hayley juts her hip out and jabs me playfully as I jump a little at her gesture, nearly spilling Liam's drink.

"Harry held me as captive," I roll my eyes as I cap on the frappuchino, sliding it across the counter. 

"He likes you," the orange hair girl raises her eyebrow in a taunting manner, occassionally sneaking glances at Harry whose eyes flicker between his phone screen and me.

"He has a funny way of showing it," I bend down to reach for the bag of java beans, refilling the machine to prepare for the next batch of customers.

"I've never seen him so devoted before," she confesses, her smile growing more serious as I tilt my head at her.

"What do you mean?"

"Usually, he sends one of his friends to spy on the girl of the week. You, my friend, have for one, lasted more than one week and two, have been personally watched over. If that's not special, I don't know what is."

"That is the most depressing thing I've ever heard," I roll my eyes at the supposedly amazing feats Harry achieved regarding girls.

"I never said the world was a happy place," she shrugs as I let the words simmer within the once relaxed air. The world is sure not a damn happy place. 

"He's staring at you again," Hayley slyly smirks and as soon as I look up from the blender, sure as it is, my eyes meet the intense emerald ones. He doesn't seem to flinch a bit at my sudden attention on him; instead he appears to be savoring the moments where I am focused on him. 

"When is he not?" Liam joins in, making the fiery-haired girl laugh as I see Liam beaming jokingly, his arms crossed and elbows leaning on the counter. He must have decided to stick around to eavesdrop whilst in the process of picking up his drink. I want to snap at him for worsening the teasing from Hayley but I can't help admiring his smile--how it reaches up to his eyes, creating wrinkles on the side that resonate pure glee. It is beautiful. 

"It's Harry's birthday tomorrow," Hayley clears her throat as if announcing it to the whole entire store, her happy demeanor never leaving her face as Harry rolls his eyes. She winks back sending herself into an uncalled for fit of laughter, to which Liam simply sighs and shakes his head. Harry's birthday? I sneak a peek past Liam's broad shoulders only to notice Harry still staring at me, causing me to quickly avert my gaze towards the ground. I wonder how Harry celebrated his birthday. What did his family do for him before he was kicked out? Does he celebrate it alone now? Does he get birthday cake? If so, what kind? What flavor? Is there a design? How many layers? Did he have any candles? If so, did he use the giant bubble-like numbers or did he individually placed the amount of thin candles equivalent to his age? It seems that every single simple thought brought out more questions, more mysteries.