6: Dutch Courage

The Dive - Fool's Gold

__________________________________________________

"When was the last time you saw mom again?"

Corrine shrugged a shoulder and shifted slightly at the end of my bed. "When she told me about Miranda's bachelorette party?"

"Do you want to come with me Tuesday evening? I have to talk to her about opening a space." I averted my eyes from my reflection in the mirror to stare her down. "You can't not see her."

"I'm aware I 'can't not' see her although that is a double negative you just used there, smooth one Livvy."

I rolled my eyes and continued applying my pale MAC lipstick.

"Wow though, Liv. Who are you trying to impress?"

I paused. "Shit. Do I look too dressed up? Does it look like I've tried to hard? Oh my god, I'm overdressed aren't I?"

"Christ, you look fine. You're in high waisted jeans not a skirt or shorts. Although that's a nice top though, you're hot enough to kill. This is all for Eddie?"

Reluctantly, I'd explained my situation to Corrine last night and told her about this drink I'd crazily agreed to. I'd called Miranda this morning and explained exactly what had happened as well and all my best friend could do was laugh. Her and Jake will meet us there at nine so I won't have to be left alone in Eddie's company for too long. The amount of mischief the man could get up to is so unknown to me, I was slightly nervous.

"No. No it's not." I cleared my throat and turned back to the mirror to comb my hair. "Is it too... Low?"

"It's a low neck top. You're barely showing cleavage, Liv. If you were wearing a push-up bra, that would be another story." Corry shrugged. "You look casual seriously. Is it just a pub then?"

"Yeah. And where are you going after I leave?" I raised a brow.

"I'm getting picked up by a friend and going home. I just wanted to see how you'd panic. So far you've already combed your hair three times and changed your shoes twice." My little sister grinned. "And now it's nine o'clock so I can't wait to see what you'll do when he turns up."

I ignored her completely and walked into my living room to find my grey coat. I was shrugging my arms into the canvas jacket when my phone started vibrating. I stared at the unknown digits and frowned. No one ever ever called me on an unknown number especially this late. "Hello?"

"I'm downstairs," A deep voice answered. "I didn't know your apartment number."

"How did you get my number?" I asked him incredulously. I peaked out my window and sure enough his car sat idly in front of the building. Slowly pacing a shape with a ghost of a smile on his mouth.

"When I first started working at Pace, Mackenzie sent out an email with the institute of art and design's faculty numbers on them just in case I couldn't make it to a session. So, of course, your number was on there."

I mentally cursed Mack for making me put my personal number on that stupid sign up sheet almost a year ago.

"I'll be down in five." I said after a moments pause and hung up. "Corry, please lock up once you've left."

"Alright, I will. Have fun tonight. Need a little Dutch courage? You know what to do."

"I don't need alcohol to be brave, I'll be fine." I lied a little so what. I didn't have clue how tonight would start let alone end. But one thing was for sure.

He couldn't touch me.

I couldn't let him touch me, not even if he was going to wipe an eyelash away from my cheek, not even if I had something on my face. I didn't know how I would react.