4: Rubbing The Wrong Way

Sunday Night - Lost Dinosaurs

___________________________________

"Alright, don't forget to study those three artists, guys I can't have you slacking now." I rose from my seat on my desk after the teens left and quickly wrote down a reminder to critique their work the following Monday.

They were already doing three projects, two of which had to be completed and presented in two weeks, I wouldn't blame them entirely for not completing this weeks tasks. I glared at the clock. One o'clock. I had Eddie's life drawing next and the weekend hadn't done much to stray my thoughts and reminiscing on when we first saw each other a week ago. 

I'm ashamed to admit I'd... Dreamt about him. It was so entirely involuntary I was almost surprised he'd managed to invade my dreams in the first place. I mean, what man would take a woman in the middle of a supermarket anyway? Did I wake up feeling as aroused as a sexually inactive eighteen year old female, yes. Yes I did. 

I couldn't even concentrate last night when I'd had my Sunday dinner with my father. He'd asked me my usual, "Anything new at work?" and I'd actually hesitated as if telling my dad, 'oh yeah this guy I totally had a crush on when I was twenty is working with me now. Crazy, I know.' was really an option.

I grimaced as I shrugged my jacket on. Hell, maybe Mack and Randy were right. I needed to start dating again. Not one of their blind dates, I couldn't be dealing with men like the ones they set me up with. 

Speak of the devil. Mack poked her head in through my door with a smile. "Lunch?" 

"I'd rather a nice glass of wine, but a coffee will have to do." I half joked.

Mackenzie was still glaring at me as we walked down the steps of the building into the cool November air. "Something have your panties in a twist?"

"What? No. I'm fine."

"You look at bit... Wound."

"Wound?"

"You know wound tight."

I clenched my teeth, aware if I clenched any harder I'm sure I'd break my molars. "You're saying I'm frustrated."

"I'm saying you should go out with that guy I told you about. Let your hair loose, undo that top button, just looking at it makes me feel like I'm choking. I'm kidding, Liv. Lighten up a bit."

I grunted my reply as I followed her out of campus to the Starbucks and ordered our usual ham and cheese toasted sandwhichs. My eyes strayed to the man sitting alone by the window. I pinched my bottom lip at Eddie deftly opening sugar packets and dropping the contents into his beverage. His thick brows arched as he took a long hearty sip of his drink and I forced myself to turn away.

Mack led us to a table further away from him and I was thankful. "I'm dragging Jake around with me this week." I said, attempting to distract myself from you-know-who. "I'm going to see how he's doing what with the wedding being so close. He hasn't said much."

"When does Jake ever say much?" She shrugged. "He's naturally quiet. I'm still baffled how someone as quiet as him could deal with someone like Miranda."

"Well, maybe opposites do attract. Jake is one of my best friends, has been since college. Get him laughing, he won't stop for anything."

Mack bit into her sandwhich and smiled. "His laugh cracks me up."

"I know he's adorable." I smirked.

I only listened with half an ear as Mack talked about God only knew what. I kept glancing over at him. Still alone, he glanced out of the window, rubbing his empty hand over his tanned arm. He stared down at his phone as he placed his lips to the edge of his cup. You slept with him.