5: 'Luck'; - Success or Failure Brought By Chance Rather Than One's Actions

Float On - Modest Mouse

____________________________________________

"So doing the food shopping with me is your way of trying to distract me?"

I smiled at my other best friend, Jake as I threw a bag of peas into his cart. "It's my way of making sure you're doing okay."

His green eyes sparkled with amusement. "You mean it's your way of making sure I'm not going to jilt my soon to be wife."

I gasped and landed my hands on top of my jean clad hips. "Now what would make you think that?"

Jake's laugh was always so care free, it'd always had the power to make me smile. Jake had the gorgeous blonde boy next door look. So clean cut, so handsome, strong, tall. He'd been my best friend since uni; he basically was the brother I never had. I loved him to pieces and to be honest, I don't think I could imagine Miranda and Jake without one and other. They might be slight opposites separately but together they were inseparable.

I'd shoved him in my car twenty minutes ago and asked him if he wanted to join me in food shopping. I didn't even need to food shop, I just couldn't think of anything else to do.

This week had been... Okay, I guess. I'd finished work about an hour ago... Oh, and Eddie had been naked about an hour ago too. But I wasn't in there. Not once, I just couldn't do it. I tried to psych myself up into staying, even to the few seconds before he'd stepped out of the closet. But as soon as he came out with the gown around him and I'd lowered my eyes to the floor when he'd dropped it, I couldn't erase the tiny glimpse of his perfect backside. I'd panicked. I'd told the class what to do and escaped that room like a bat out of hell. I didn't return until Eddie was shrugging the gown back on. I'd had a glance at everyone's work and sighed with relief when I saw everyone's work was okay.

It was selfish of me to leave them to it; I certainly couldn't do it again. I was just glad it was the weekend. The weekends were my sanctuary.

"So where are we having dinner?"

I shrugged out of my thoughts and smiled. "I'm not sure yet, hungry for anything?"

"You know me. I'll have whatever's around." He started pushing through the next isle of junk food and grinned.

"No. No junk food for dinner, what are you a kid?"

As I turned around and went to turn the corner, something or rather someone barrelled into my legs. I grabbed the child by her arms when I saw her begin to fall backward and steadied her.

"Whoa." She murmured, her dark blonde hair falling in ringlets above her shoulders.

I looked down into a pair of blue eyes. She looked no older than four.

"Are you okay?"

The pretty little girl nodded shyly as I let go.

"Chelsea! For crying out... Oh! Olivia Reilly, hello!"

I turned and blinked at the sight of Grace walking toward us with a... hell that man was a bear, in tow. "Hi, Grace. Nice to see you again."

"Nice to see you too! I see you've met our trouble maker niece."

Chelsea rolled her eyes at Grace and I raised a brow at the weird level of maturity that eye roll brought with it. The bear of a man behind Grace smiled and picked up the so called trouble maker.

"Oh, my husband Chase, you didn't get to meet him before. Chase this is the girl that booked the restaurant for the party."

He held out his hand and I shook it with a pleasant smile. Quiet man wasn't he...