CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Miss Benning emerged from William's bedchamber on the third evening and sought out her own. After bathing and taking tea in her own rooms, she instructed her servant to have William's rooms thoroughly cleaned and his clothing packed but for his dressing robe which she ordered brought to her own room then she climbed into her own bed and drew open the book she had been reading to her brother.

The following morning she came down for breakfast and found the room full of people, Wimbley and LaCroix, Donal, Grant, Janet and the babe greeted her with love and concern. She did her best to smile and assure them her health was good and then she retired to the sanctuary of her library. Several hours later a knock came at the door and Grant entered. He sat across from her and looked her over thoroughly before speaking, "How are you truly?" A small laugh escaped her, "I do not know, truly, but I am out of bed, I am dressed and I breathe so I know I live." She stood and walked to the window, peering out at the soft autumn day in silence.

"Someone has called upon Sheffield, someone who has called each day since the service though I have asked them not to. I told them it was my wish they take their leave but they have refused and insist upon calling here until you consent to see them." Miss Benning slowly turned from the window and sat on its ledge as she studied Grant's face. "Who is calling?" She felt her heart beat faster as the thought of the younger Donal played through her head and she tried in desperation to keep hope from creeping into her conscious. "A Mr. and Mrs. Culvert." Grant watched as Miss Benning's face paled and her eyes widened. He had not wanted to deliver such news and had forbade them every day from returning to Sheffield and still the two returned and vowed to do so until they were seen and so here he sat forced to watch as more pain was inflicted upon his goddaughter.

Miss Benning turned back to the window. Oh! to be a leaf falling upon the earth knowing its job well done, embracing the beautiful death that was its due in graceful silence, thought she. Only this was not to be her destiny. She had committed some unspeakable sin to which she was not privy, her punishment to be a life filled with a series of unfortunate events whose design was but to inflict continual pain upon her and dangle joy a hair out of reach. She sighed deeply, leaned her hands against the ledge of the window and spoke, "I will see them."

The Culvert's were seated in the drawing room when Miss Benning entered. They stood as she entered and bowed. "Please sit," said Miss Benning as she took her own seat. A heavy silence plagued the room for some long minutes before tea was brought and poured. Miss Benning shuddered at the smooth, sweetness of Mr. Culvert's voice and sat her cup on the table as he spoke. "Miss Benning I thank you kindly for seeing my wife and I." Miss Benning nodded and he continued, "I know it is a great imposition and unkindness of ours to demand such a meeting but we could not return without personally conveying our condolences." Mrs. Culvert found her voice, "We loved William." Miss Benning stared at her and saw her eyes glass over with unshed tears. She also saw that the woman's face was puffy, dark rings lined her eyes and she was very pale.

"You have been crying?" The question was out before Miss Benning could stop it. Mrs. Culvert looked down at her cup then back up at Miss Benning, "I have not been able to stop since receiving the news of William. For sixteen years he was a brother to me, as you were a sister. I know what horrible contempt you hold me in but I still love you, I still love William and I am so very pained." Miss Benning's back straightened, "Is my contempt not righteous? It is not wrong of me not to love you the way you claim to love me."

Mr. Culvert continued the conversation as his wife fell into tears, "No Miss Benning, it is not wrong and, if there is anything righteous in this world, it is your contempt." Miss Benning was startled at the man's openly truthful response. "What Maria and I did to you was unforgiveable and we shall be sorely punished for it upon our judgment, of that I am certain. I am equally certain that, though the manner in which it was done was contemptuous, the action itself was not." Mr. Culvert leaned forward and placed his elbows on his knees, "Ace, did you truly love me, with all of your heart, your breath?" Miss Benning pricked at the use of her pet name but said nothing as the earnestness in his eyes, his voice captivated her.