CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Ewan entered McDonald's library and found the man himself with another he did not recognize. "Donal you have come," greeted McDonald. "Shall I introduce you to Mr. Johnston, he is a barrister, come all the way from London." Ewan greeted the barrister. "Sit please and have some Scotch." The barrister waved the proffer of whiskey away so McDonald settled himself with his own glass and one for Ewan. "Mr. McDonald, what I have to say concerns Mr. Donal." McDonald nodded and kept his seat taking no heed of Mr. Johnston's gentle request. Ewan smiled briefly into his glass, "I have no secrets from McDonald Mr. Johnston he is welcome to stay." The barrister nodded in consent, "I have been charged with the execution of a Will Mr. Donal." Ewan leaned forward in surprise. "A one Sir William Montgomery Grant of Gainsley Hall. I assume you and he were acquainted." Relief and sadness filled Ewan simultaneously as he nodded, "Yes I knew the man."

"Very good as it seems Mr. Grant thought highly of you Sir." Ewan's brow rose, "As I did of him but I do not understand why you are here." "Grant has left you a little something Donal, do not be so daft," McDonald cut in. "Indeed," said Mr. Johnston flatly, "but it is in fact rather a large something. It was Mr. Grant's wish, Mr. Donal, that you act as Trustee and steward of Gainsley Hall and of all its holdings until such time as a male representative of the family is of age to relieve you of such duty." McDonald choked on his whiskey. Ewan gawked at the barrister and the room was silent for several moments before Ewan rose and paced the floor digesting Mr. Johnston's words.

"Do you jest Mr. Johnston?" inquired Ewan finally. The barrister flushed, "Grant was not only a client Mr. Donal but my friend. I find no humor in the execution of his last wishes." Ewan saw the honesty in the man's eyes. "I confess I am not English but does the law not state that Mrs. Whitehouse's husband should take on the running of her Father's estate?" inquired McDonald as Ewan continued to pace. "Indeed it would be so had Mr. Grant not explicitly stated otherwise and, for his trouble, Mr. Whitehouse has been acknowledged in Mr. Grant's Will as the man so sought fit." Ewan turned to the barrister, "And Mrs. Whitehouse?" "She shall receive ten thousand per annum for herself and her child. The account is separate from that of Gainsley and as Mrs. Whitehouse is of an age she shall be in command of her own living."

The room fell silent for some minutes as Ewan paced once more. "I would need to leave Scotland." Mr. Johnston nodded, "It would require your attendance at Gainsley." "At Gainsley, with Mrs. Whitehouse?" The barrister laughed dryly, "While I am sure you would find each other amiable companions there are other residences near enough you could occupy should you so choose Mr. Donal." "And what of his own living?" queried McDonald who shrugged as Ewan glared at his forwardness. "The steward of Gainsley shall receive a living of five thousand pounds per annum." Ewan leaned heavily against the desk. "Well that's no small thing now is it," said McDonald. Ewan's mind would not still enough to form many rational thoughts. "If I refuse?" he asked as he fixed his eyes on the barrister who raised his brow at the question. "Mr. Grant has left me alternative instructions Mr. Donal." "Can I consider the request?" Mr. Johnston nodded, "I shall travel to Gainsley in two months time to finalize Mr. Grant's Will and see to the installation of the new steward. I would ask you to deliver your answer by week's end to afford me time to make the alternative arrangements should it be necessary." Mr. Johnston stood and bowed to the men, "I have delivered such news as I have and shall take my leave gentlemen."

~

The McDonalds were seated to dinner. Miss McDonald pushed her braised lamb about her plate for several minutes before she could no longer hold her tongue, "Uncle how did you advise Donal today?" Mr. McDonald looked at his niece as he swallowed a piece of lamb, "Advise him?" "Aye, about the offer the barrister made." McDonald laughed, "I see I should take better pain to secure the door before conducting business." Miss McDonald gave her Uncle a testy look. He laid his utensils beside his plate, took a long sip from his wine and stared at the girl, "And how should I have advised him?" "You do not want him to leave do you Uncle?" she asked a bit hastily. "No more than you I suspect but it is not for either of us to decide Donal's future." Miss McDonald bristled, "It may be of a concern to me."

McDonald leaned back into his chair, "He has made you an offer?" Her chin rose, "Of a sort." McDonald cleaned his mouth with his napkin, "Well this, of a sort, has not included my consent." Her mouth dropped open, "And you would refuse," she cried. "Oh! child still yourself, of course I would not refuse," chided McDonald. "It is a good offer Elizabeth and one that would afford him a family if that is your concern." She looked at her plate for a moment before speaking, "I must confess my concern runs a bit deeper. How close is Gainsley Hall to Sheffield Uncle?" McDonald's brows drew together in confusion, "Sheffield? What has Sheffield to do with the matter?" "Only my own curiosity." McDonald saw there was more but thought better than to push the girl, "I am not wholly sure but could be no more than two hours ride, they are in the same neighborhood after all." "Two hours," she whispered as she played again with her food. "Are you quite alright my dear?" She attempted a smile, "Yes Uncle, only tired."

~

He leaned against the railing of the paddock as she drew close. "I thought I might find you here." Ewan startled at the sound of her voice, "You have been looking for me?" She smiled brightly towards him as she pressed her hands against a rail, "He is a beautiful creature," said she as she admired the stallion nibbling grass in the paddock. "I find I can think here," he responded. She drew in a long breath, "And you have much to contemplate?" Ewan laughed dryly at her question. "You will still marry me Mr. Donal?" Ewan turned his face to the woman as he pushed back from the fence. "You have come to a decision then?" She nodded, "I have." She watched as he reached into his coat pocket, took her hand in his and deposited the small object. "I have kept it with me since our conversation in the stable."

She looked down at her hand and slowly uncurled her fingers. Her breath caught as the sun burst off the silver band, the emerald set in its middle. When her eyes lifted back to his they were wet and glassy. "You would marry me?" The corner of his mouth turned up as he stepped forward and wiped the first tears from her cheek, "Aye I would." "And would you deny Gainsley should I ask it?" He stepped back in surprise as she continued, "I know of the offer Ewan. I know what it could mean for you." He stepped back to her and wrapped his hands around hers, "Yes, I will deny it Elizabeth, you need but ask." "So you have made your decision?" He turned his head away from her question.

"Why? Why would you give it all up?" She felt her knees go weak as his soft green eyes found hers, "Because I gave you my word." She smiled softly and took his cheek in her hand for a moment before pulling away from him. Taking a deep breath she looked down at the ring, "Oh! Ewan but it is a beautiful ring." "I am glad you approve," said Ewan with a smile. "But I have made my choice as well," said she as Ewan's brow rose in response. "I am many things and I do have such deep feelings for you and Emma." She began to cry. Ewan stepped towards her but she drew back, "I hope though, that I am not yet so covetess as to take that which is so clearly not mine." "Forgive me but I do not follow." Miss McDonald met his eyes with a bright smile as she held the ring towards him, "This ring is not mine Ewan, it was meant for another woman's hand."

Ewan stepped quickly towards her, "Miss McDonald," she stopped him and placed the ring delicately into his hand, "I have decided to accept Mr. Campbell's offer of marriage." She turned to leave but stopped as he took her arm, "Elizabeth stop." "Mr. Donal please let me go," she cried and he loosened his grip on her arm slightly, "This is what you truly want?" She stiffened her spine, raised her chin and looked at him fully, "You would marry me for honor but you would detest me for love and I cannot be the instrument of pain to you, not for my own selfish reasons. Besides," she paused and attempted a smile, "do I not deserve more?" He bent and placed his lips gently over hers, "You deserve the world. I only wish it was me that could give it to you." As he watched her go he felt ashamed that an utter sense of freedom had completely overtaken his person.