CHAPTER 13

After securing the horse he sat on a grassy knoll and took the letter from his pocket. Grant had delivered it that morning when he came to call on the Bennings. Ewan's hand fell gently over his Father's direction before snapping the wax and opening the papers.

My dearest son,

I was most exponentially pleased to receive your letter. Though it seems the adjustment to your Uncle's residence has met with some bit of difficulty I trust this letter finds you in good health and better spirit. Without expounding I shall only say your Mother was the wisest woman I ever met. London society, as I am sure you have now determined, is most complex compared to the rather pastoral upbringing to which you were accustomed. Its intricacies as well as its people are as varied as leaves upon a tree and so, discerning the character of one from another can be quite impossible, except upon the closest examination. You seem to have your Mother's family well in hand so I will not waste good ink on that point.

As to the other, it is a chasm from which no man ever leaves unscathed. My fear dear son is that you may suffer more than most. In your present dealings you cannot rely upon the knowledge you gained from your childhood here. The Irish rose is as different from its English cousin as is a Thoroughbred from a draft.

As an aside, I had the pleasure of conversing with Mr. Kelly just yesterday. We had several good laughs over a few pints. Speaking of, do you recall the dappled filly I acquired from a Mr. Iverson in Dublin some years past? A most beautiful and well-bred creature. I am sure you recall as you admired her greatly and she was a favorite of yours to work. It was near the same time I had the misfortune of winning the small sorrel filly in a dice game from old Barney, though in retrospect I oft wonder if he did not throw the game to rid himself of the creature. I am confident you remember that particular animal as the two of you came close to killing each other more than once. A bitter creature that one, stubborn to a fault I am still convinced to this day she was part mule. It was Mr. Kelly who reminded me of the story as it seems a favorite of his and was he who noticed the sorrel filly in the far field a year past my procurement of her. He who convinced me, unfairly, as being the victor of an argument with a man in drink can hardly be called a victory, to bring the filly back to the yard for a second look. I am still in his debt for the loss of that particular argument. She had blossomed through neglect and tempered like steel. Do you recall? Though still a most willfully stubborn mare, was it not you who proclaimed, "let the witch run?" And run she did. Erin's Isle, the winningest filly ever to come from County Kildare. That reminds me, Mr. Kelly was inquiring after the name of the dapple filly, I could not recall, and told him when I wrote I would inquire it of you.

My hand cramps so I shall conclude simply by saying all is well here.

Your most beloved Father.

~

Miss Benning and Grant had spent the day in the library reviewing the books and receipts of Sheffield. Miss Benning's leg was beginning to throb and her energy was swiftly leaving her but a thought had been plaguing her for some days and she needed finally to address it. "Sir William, have you word from Janet recently?" Slowly he looked up from the accounting, caught the concern in Miss Benning's face and answered, "Yes. Two days past I received a post." She breathed in deeply and laid her head against the chair back. "My daughter did not write to you?" Miss Benning shook her head in reply. "Oh, well, I am sure she is simply distracted. If her last letter was any indication of her current mental state, I would say she was most out of sorts, which is to be expected of a lady planning a wedding. I would not let it trouble you my dear." Grant was just finding his place again on the page when she spoke, "I feel my last letter may have troubled her. I am certain in my own selfishness I have caused her discomfort." Grant studied Miss Benning over his glasses for several moments. "You and she are like sisters, I am sure there is nothing you could have said that would discomfort her."

Miss Benning turned her eyes to Grant who gave her a comforting smile, "You must remember that Janet does not have your same ability to organize tasks and becomes overwhelmed quite easily, a fault I hope her future husband does not share, else I will be managing their affairs until I die and then God only knows what will become them." The door to the library opened and Ewan strolled in. "Sir William, if you will excuse me I believe I will lie down before dinner," said Miss Benning as she rose awkwardly from the chair. Ewan rushed to assist her, "Can I assist you my lady?" "Thank you Mr. Donal but I will manage." They smiled softly to each other and Grant was pleased that his plan was taking root.

~

Janet smiled radiantly as her great friend Miss Burke entered the drawing room. Miss Burke had called on Janet each day and assisted her in all manner of preparation for her fast approaching wedding. Today the two were off for measurements. Miss Burke had insisted Janet have her wedding gown made by Crabtree whom she insisted was the foremost dressmaker in all of London. "You could scarcely find a better dress in Paris" Miss Burke had exclaimed when Janet insisted she would have the gown constructed at her normal shop. Miss Burke had taken Janet to visit Crabtree's in order to convince her of its superiority. Janet had to agree she had never seen such elegantly fashioned or well-made dresses. "Tis the Queen's own dressmaker" Miss Burke had decried. The dresses were not the only impressive items as the prices were most extravagant and Janet balked at the idea of what it would cost. Miss Burke was there to save her from that calamity as well, "Oh! Miss Grant the best half of London will be at your wedding, you cannot show up looking like a pauper, no you must look like a queen. It is what is expected."

The women sat in a tea shop reliving every minute detail of the attentions heaped upon them at Crabtree. "Oh! Miss Burke I did feel just like the Queen" Janet giggled. "It is all so unbelievable. I simply cannot imagine that I am marrying the man of my dreams in less than three months." Miss Burke rolled her eyes to herself and took Janet's hand, "Oh but you are the luckiest woman who ever lived. If I could have an ounce of your happiness I would consider myself most fortunate." She dropped her eyes to the table and sighed. "Miss Burke, you must think me the most selfish creature you ever met. Here I am babbling on endlessly of my own happiness while you suffer in silence. Oh my dearest friend I am so sorry." Miss Burke looked back up and saw the genuine concern on the other woman's face. "Miss Grant please, I have been most honored that you have allowed me to assist you in planning your wedding. It is going to be the event of the season I know." She squeezed Janet's hand before releasing it and bringing the tea cup to her lips.

"Pray, what news of your own, regarding Mr. Donal?" Slowly placing the tea cup down she removed a handkerchief, blotted each eye delicately then sniffled before speaking, "All is lost Miss Grant. Mr. Whitehouse's Uncle has been most unsuccessful in reasoning with Mr. Donal. Mr. Donal has ceased to respond to his Uncle and Mr. Whitehouse." She lifted the handkerchief to the bridge of her nose before letting out a muffled cry, "He will no longer even respond to me." Miss Grant gasped. "Oh! Miss Grant, the last letter I had from him was most discommoding. He wrote only of Miss Benning's health and how she refused to release him to return to London." Miss Burke took the opportunity to cry delicately into her handkerchief for several moments before blotting her eyes again. "Oh! Miss Burke I am fully shocked. I have known Miss Benning my entire life and never believed her to be capable of such underhandedness." "We all want to believe the best of those in our confidence Miss Grant." "Indeed. What will you do?" Miss Burke took several sips of tea to compose herself, "I have decided to release Mr. Donal from our engagement. I am well-bred and well respected and I shall no longer submit myself to such low-handed dealings of Miss Benning." Janet's admiration of Miss Burke was evident, "You are a most esteemed lady Miss Burke. I can surely say I know of no other who would put their own love and happiness so selflessly aside to accommodate those who would so brashly throw off the mode of polite society for their own design."

When Janet returned home, she sat at her writing table and withdrew Miss Benning's letter.