CHAPTER TWELVE

The stable yard was filled with commotion as he entered. He swung down from the filly, handed her off to a stable hand and strode over to the carriage as Miss Benning was being assisted into it. Seeing him she nodded her head, "Mr. Donal." "Miss Benning, Willy." "I fear that I must inconvenience you this afternoon Mr. Donal. Sir William has most vehemently instructed me not to leave the estate without escort. He would have me believe the use of only three appendages should place me at great risk if I were only in the company of one with two." Miss Benning winked down at William who smiled and shrugged his shoulders at Ewan. "But I hope the inconvenience will not prove too unpleasant." She tilted her chin up and looked across Ewan's shoulder. Turning to follow her gaze he saw a stable hand leading Atlas towards them in full tack. Miss Benning clucked the carriage horses forward and called back to him, "When you have regained your composure, please do catch up Mr. Donal."

The villagers were at them before they halted. Ewan tightened his mount's reins and laid a steady hand on the horse's neck as he jeered away from the swarming crowd. "Just tie him to the carriage Mr. Donal," Miss Benning said as she accepted a hand down from the carriage. She was attempting to address the mass of children flocking around her and tugging on her clothing as Ewan joined her. A round woman reprimanded the children and shooed them away as she bobbed a curtsy to Miss Benning. "Miss Ace, a fine day, a fine day," the man croaked as he walked towards them. "Resplendent Mr. Ford," she answered back smiling at the older man then turning she acknowledged Ewan, "Mr. Donal might I introduce you to Mr. Ford, Daniel Ford's older brother."

The reference caught in Ewan's mind as he bowed graciously to the man. "Ah and I've had word from him I have," said Ford. As Miss Benning was ready to reply another, man broke in, "Ma'am, the carriage." He motioned towards the vehicle barely visible through the throngs of children and adults gathered round it. Ewan noticed with interest that many were approaching Atlas, laying a hand on him and pulling back. William was at the stallion's side placating him with treats. "Oh! of course Mr. White. It all goes to the general cellar." He man bowed, "Very good ma'am." Ewan watched as the man called instructions while striding towards the carriage where several men began unloading bags from the back and carting them away. "Mr. Donal?" Ewan turned to re-face Miss Benning and Mr. Ford, "hum?" "Mr. Ford was telling me that his brother was mending rapidly and I said as how I should be in need of a good horseman soon for colt breaking as Sir William has threatened to break my other leg should I attempt such nonsense again and you would surely be overly ready to return to Town. So my question was, would you be willing to pen a short letter to Mr. Daniel Ford informing him of the general progress of the colts before you took leave of Sheffield?"

He stared at the two in surprise as he had no immediate intention of taking his leave of Sheffield. "Mr. Donal are you quite alright?" "Yes?" Her face lit in amusement, "Yes you are alright or yes you will pen a letter?" He looked over at the older Ford who had a quizzical look on his face then back to Miss Benning, "Yes to both Miss Benning." "Good" she nodded once and turned back to Mr. Ford, "It is settled then, will you write to your brother?" "Yes ma'am straight away ma'am." "Lovely" she wound her arm through Ewan's, "Mr. Donal will help me to the garden." Mr. Ford bowed and strode off towards the carriage.

Her movements were awkward and slow but at last they stood just outside the railing of the garden where a tree stump jutted carelessly up from the earth. He guided her to it and she settled sighing heavily with the exertion. She stared out at the slumbering garden and he at the carriage scene behind them. "What is this?" She heard his voice but not his words so looking up at him inquired, "hum?" He waved towards the crowd. "Oh!" she smiled. "Well the garden provides some bounty but rarely all so Sir William and I assist where we can." "It's food?" She nodded in affirmation. They enjoyed the peace in silence for some time before Ewan spoke again, "What do they do with Atlas?" She laughed softly, "Touch him, for luck." "Ah, so Miss Benning had a motive in bestowing him upon me this fine day."