CHAPTER THIRTY

The elder Donal looked very content as Miss Benning joined him for breakfast. "In good humor this morning Niall?" The man looked over at her, "Grant's man delivered a post from Ewan only this morning." Miss Benning nodded as she spread honey on a small piece of bread, "A good day indeed then." "He writes to me of his daughter and tells me of her progress, a fine lass to be sure." Miss Benning smiled at him, "That she is. I had the privilege of meeting her at St. Leger." Donal cocked a brow at her, "Is that so, I did not think you saw Ewan." "Not long. Tell me Niall what happened to your son's wife?" "His wife? Oh! but the child is not his by blood Ace. He was her godfather but sadly she has lost both her parents and now has been claimed by my son. Never had I thought to be a grandparent with the way that boy tarries when it comes to marriage." Miss Benning felt herself blush and looked down at her plate as Donal continued, "But now he speaks of a lady who may convince him marriage is not a curse to be avoided." Her brow rose, "Is that so?" Donal nodded, "McDonald's niece apparently. Ewan says she is exceedingly handsome and her character is very amiable." "Well I confess I cannot speak much to her character but she is exceedingly handsome."

"You met her?" queried the elder Donal. Miss Benning nodded in response. "How did you find her?" Thinking for a few moments she took a sip of cider before answering. "She is young but well spoken for her youth and I think her mind is, for the most, mature." Donal laughed dryly, "So you do not approve." Miss Benning scoffed, "I did not say that." "You did not have to." "I did not approve of the substance of the conversation we shared but her delivery was truthful and well said so that counts for something towards her character. But I think, in this matter, you should trust your son's judgment." "And do you trust my son's judgment?" Miss Benning met the older man's eyes, "Fully." Donal smiled and tucked away the letter.

~

Ewan was brushing a horse when she entered the stable. Upon seeing Miss McDonald he greeted her warmly. She leaned against a post and watched him as he drew the brush against the soft fur of the horse. After several minutes he spoke, "You seem distant Miss McDonald is all well with you?" She picked a sheaf of hay from the floor and drew it between her fingers, "I attended a ball last eve." Ewan nodded, "I remember McDonald saying something of the sort and you are not pleased with it?" She sighed, "On the contrary I had a most wonderful time. I was given an offer by a gentleman." Ewan cocked his brow at this news, "An offer?" "Yes Donal, of marriage," she huffed.

"I see and this does not please you?" He saw her face redden as she looked down at the sheaf she was tearing apart with her fingers. "And this gentleman, is he unsuitable?" Her eyes shot to his, "In fact he is most suitable and amiable and handsome and wealthy," she exclaimed in quick fashion. They stared at each other for some moments. "It is only that I thought, I hoped, I would receive an offer from you," said she shyly. Ewan laid his arm across the horse's back and studied the woman. He could see the toil her confession took upon her and wholly wished he could give her what she longed for. He had allowed himself to develop strong feelings for Miss McDonald, had even purchased a ring and planned to make her an offer. He had not questioned she would not accept as he saw her feelings towards him painted in her eyes with each look they shared. And then they had gone to St. Leger and he had returned full of conflict and visions of a raven-haired specter who had haunted his dreams these past six years.

She saw the turmoil on his face, "I believe you know my feelings for you Ewan. I believe you know that my Uncle approves the match and that I come with a rather large dowry. I know also you see how very much I care for Emma." She looked down at her hands for another moment before continuing, "And I believe you reciprocate my feelings or, at least, you did. You still love her." She drew her eyes to his and saw her statement to be true, "You have been distant since our return. You are trying to conquer your feelings are you not?" He nodded and saw, as she left her face unguarded, the sadness this knowledge caused her and it tore at his heart.