3. The Unknown Donor

Jolie's POV:

"Emeric, you can go home now, it's fine. This isn't my first rodeo and you've already been here for two hours with me. Mom and I are going to be okay by ourselves." My brother, Emeric, had been up all night practicing with his band, and his exhausted body still managed to make its way to the hospital with my mom and me.

Due to my implacable renal disease, I was stuck taking dialysis treatment multiple times a week to keep my body functioning as well as possible. It was rough, having to live a life dedicated to a machine, but it was also better than facing death. besides, after many years of taking treatment, it's transformed into a normal event I've gotten used to.

The hospital was filled with screaming children, sick elderly women, the smell of overused Lysol disinfectant, and not to mention, the flickering florescent lights that gave me a headache. I hated it here, and could not stand to be poked and prodded by overly cheerful nurses. I could try to get comfortable in the dingy bed as much as I wanted, but it was still be bleak in comparison to my own bed at home. 

"I don't mind staying here. I have nothing else to do today." Emeric rubbed my hand in his, and I noticed his was rough fingers were shaking. I took a peek at him, his face pale under his oily, golden hair.

He hated seeing me go through dialysis, or anything medical related. And I hated having him see me like this, so weak and vulnerable.

"Emeric, go home. I'll probably fall asleep anyway, until the nurse comes back." And by the routine, she'll be back in one second. She always leaves to take a quick bathroom break and I back at my side.

"Yes, go get cleaned up and get a nap. You look like you haven't taken a shower in days." My mom, Mia, forced Emeric off of the chair, taking his seat once he finally agreed to leave.

"Alright, call me if you two need." For a guy who hated to show emotion, he couldn't hide his affection for his family no matter how hard he tried.

"Love you, loser." I teased.

He smiled back at me, taking his time to walk out of the room.

When Emeric finally left, the nurse came swooping in right after. The nurse greeted me with the same plastic smile as before she left, making me just as sick as this dialysis.

"How's it looking?" I asked her as she checked the filtering of blood.

"Very nice as usual. You always take this like a champ, way better than I would take it. Your mother must be very proud of you to go through this."

"I am very proud of her." Mom's pointy chin quivered, a sign that she was holding back tears. But like me, mom was stubborn, her glossy, blue eyes holding back the tears as fiercely as possible.

"She managed to finish her freshman year of college, too. She's such a strong girl; we are so proud." Mom continued.

"Oh, stop with the compliments, Mom." It was her job to embarrass me, but God, was she doing a good job at it.

"Why, honey? It's true." She smiled.

"Thanks." I smiled.

"And who knows? If you try hard enough, and with lots of help, you'll be able to graduate." She said, hopefuly.

"Mom, I don't know. That seemed like a long shot." I picked at the hospital band on my left hand.

Mom took her leopard print purse away from her shoulders before leaning in and holding my hand tenderly.

"Listen, Jolie, I didn't want to tell you this in front of your brother to get his hopes up just yet, but I've been talking with the doctor, and there's been a pending candidate. We think we might have a match for a kidney transplant."

My mom was hopeful for a transplant, even if the waiting list wasn't slimming down. I've gotten my hopes up like her once before, only to be told there was a significant chance of having the kidney rejected.  I didn't want to get my hopes up ever again.

My mother would always have her unfailing hope that one day I'd live a normal life, and I couldn't blame her, I suppose. She felt like a failure when she had once found out she wasn't a match for me, so the only thing she clung onto was the hope that one day a hero would come along and save me from this disease.

"Mom, we've been through this before and it turned out horribly wrong." I explained gently.

"This time it's different. I actually know the candidate. His father works in the inside of our firm, actually. He's willing to get tested to see if he's a match."

Now, I was getting slightly curious how this happened. If this person was willing to get tested, there must be a reason behind why they would do this. No one decides to just give up their kidney without a price. But, on the other hand, my mom was one tough negotiator and I should never put anything passed her. Oh, the benefits of having an awesome lawyer as a mother!

"Who is the candidate?" I asked, quirking a plucked brow.

"Oh, shoot, I forgot his name." My mom shook her head in thought, her brown bangs swishing along her head like a hypnotizing pendulum.

"His? Did you say that right? It's a guy?" I asked.

I was fully aware that a male to female transplant was possible, but I always imagined it to be a female. Actually, I assumed it would be a deceased female organ donor, but I guess I was horribly wrong. That is, I'm only wrong if this actually works. Ugh, there I go again, getting my hopes up when there is only a possible donor. For all I know, this guy could chicken out and change his mind, even if he was a perfect match.

"Yes, yes it is a boy."