Chapter Thirty-Four

January 15, 2010

“All good things come to an end, and that’s where we are.”-Molly Somerville, This Heart of Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

     She was a coward.

     Rachelle went through the screenings telling Nick it was just part of her new project. She just couldn’t do it.

     There had been eight models to choose from and by Saturday afternoon, the organization had already chosen their preferred scholar.

     As expected, Rachelle bagged the opportunity.

     “I knew it! I knew you’ll get that scholarship! Oh, I’m so proud of you, dear!” Bettina exclaimed, tears of joy springing into her eyes.

     Rachelle found herself getting affected by her agent’s enthusiasm and she hugged her tight. “Thanks, Betty. I wouldn’t have gotten it without you.”

     “Shut up! You could’ve nailed that without my help,” she replied with unreal anger and then gave Rachelle another bear hug.
     Vivian came over and before she could even blurt out a word, Rachelle jumped and gave her mother a very tight embrace. They giggled at their own excitement and together, they twirled around cheerfully. When they pulled back, Vivian placed her hands on both of Rachelle’s cheeks and then said emotionally, “I couldn’t have had a better daughter. You make me so proud.”

      Tears now found themselves in her eyes but before they could fall down her cheeks, Rachelle grinned as she wrapped her arms around her mother again. “This is all because you’re such a wonderful mother, yourself.”

     Some other people went on to congratulate her and she thanked each of them happily. They were on their way out of the fashion institute’s building when she spotted a very familiar white Audi. Leaning on the door was no one else but Nick. Vivian knew that Rachelle had not told Nick about it yet and she looked worriedly over at her daughter. Rachelle responded with a look of helplessness and a shrug. Her mother gave her a smile then squeezed her shoulder before nodding her permission to let Rachelle go over to Nick.

     She inhaled a gulp of courage before she started her way towards the white car. He straightened as he saw her approaching him. When she was just a few steps away, he smiled at her in greeting.

     “Hey.”

     “Hey.”

     He gestured towards her mother and Bettina who were still busy with their chitchat. “Matt called and told me to come and give you and Aunt Vivian a ride home.”

     Wait ‘til I get my hands on your neck, dear brother, Rachelle thought disdainfully. He didn’t say anything to Nick but he made sure Rachelle would be forced to.

     Rachelle gave a smile of her own and then replied with, “He made a mistake. We brought mom’s car.” She pointed towards the gray Honda Jazz parked farther into the lot, making it difficult for Nick to immediately notice.

     “I see. Makes you wonder why he would even send me over,” Nick said, frowning. He paused and then with another smile, “You look happy.”

     “Well, I guess I am.” She really couldn’t keep it a secret from him any longer. “Uhm, can we talk?”

     He narrowed his eyes with suspicion. “Should I be scared?”

     “Of course not!” she cried. “I just need to tell you something.”

     “Okay,” he assured her with a chuckle.