Chapter Eighteen

October 10, 2010

It’s not exactly a secret. It’s more of classified information—and you’re one of those who aren’t meant to know.

     “The concert’s about to start,” Rachelle muttered in a soft voice. Monday had come but no one had returned her journal even to the school’s lost and found office. If her journal had been lost before any of her recent problems, she wouldn’t have been so worried. But lately, her entries had been about her deepest secrets triggered by the letter and photos. Someone who hated Rachelle could very well use the contents against her. And that would definitely be the most terrible thing that could happen to her. Well, next to the actual events that happened.

     She felt an arm drape around her back and her burden seemed to lessen. The feeling made her move closer to the body next to hers and she immediately leaned her head on his shoulder.

     “Is this about the diary again?” Liam asked in a worried tone.

     Rachelle just nodded. For some reason, she and Liam had become a lot closer since she told everybody that Liam was now her boyfriend. One thing she adored about being in a relationship was having someone always standing beside her, holding her.

     Liam turned to plant a kiss on top of her head. “Don’t think about it for now. Your brother and best friend are going to play and if they see you looking bothered, they might accidentally miss a note and ruin the performance.”

     “They’re not that much of an amateur.”

     “True. But I’m sure they’re as upset as you are. You forget their tendency to be overprotective. They’ll sacrifice a limb just to make you happy. Seeing you as depressed as I see you now would affect them more than you think.”

     Rachelle smiled a little, knowing how true it was. “And how can you be so sure?”

     Liam tightened his hold on her a little. “I know because I feel the same way.”

     She literally felt his words travel along her skin, making her feel the impact of his sincerity. Rachelle knew then and there that she wasn’t wrong when she trusted Liam. They hadn’t been together that long for her to conclude that things between them wouldn’t end the same way as with her exes. Right now however, the warmth that made her heart beat faster was enough for her to decide that she had definitely fallen in love. She raised her head, and without hesitation, kissed Liam on the lips.

     He blinked once before his eyes fixed on hers, “Is that how you usually say thank you to your boyfriend?”

     Rachelle grinned then moved to link her hands behind his neck. “I wasn’t saying thank you. I was saying I love you.”

     A second passed before he gave her a lopsided grin. “Are you sure?”

     “Hmph. That’s not the correct way to answer,” she answered with a frown.

     With that, Liam pulled her closer and gave her his own version of a kiss. A few seconds later, he pulled away and asked, “Is that answer good enough?”

     Rachelle’s mind was still reeling from the kiss but she was used to flirting and she fought back the blush that threatened to stain her cheeks.

     “I guess. Maybe,” she replied, playfully pouting as she turned back to the stage.

     She saw her boyfriend discreetly smiling, obviously aware that he was a good kisser. Just as she looped her arm around her boyfriend’s back, lights began to dim signaling that the concert was about to begin.