Chapter Twenty-Two

April 10, 2008

The break-up doesn’t hurt as much as the answers to the question, “What if?”

     “Grace! Grace, wait!” Nick shouted as he ran after the girl with whom he had a complicated relationship status.

     Damn. Why does she have to be there right when I said those things? Nick thought.

     Grace was merely walking fast, trying hard not to take so much attention upon herself and Nick took advantage of that, eventually catching up on her. He immediately grabbed her wrist and pulled her to a stop. He saw her eyes widen in fear and sadness, her body becoming stiff, and his guts rolled over in shame. She immediately tried to struggle out of his grasp but Nick was strong and she gave up the fight. He stared at her, willing her to look at him but she didn’t.

     “I’ll let go of you but you have to promise me we’ll talk.” He saw her nod. “Now,” Nick added just in case she ran off, saying that they’ll talk some time in the future. He couldn’t let her continue to over think without knowing everything.

     When she nodded again, he released her, trusting her not to go back on her actions. He saw her body turn, probably thinking of escaping but then, changed her mind. If there was one thing that he admired about Grace, it was her set of principles. She remained where she was and sighed with acceptance. He gave her a small smile of thanks and led her to a bench hidden by a huge acacia tree. It wasn’t close to the lake and Nick was thankful for the privacy it offered.

     He took a deep breath.

     “I know that no matter what I say, I would only end up hurting you. And for that, I’m sorry,” he began.

     No answer.

     “You probably hate me for asking you out in the first place. It was wrong and I’ve been bothered by my conscience ever since.” He saw her wince and he felt even more ashamed of himself. Grace shouldn’t be hurt like this.

     “I wanted us to work, Grace. I really do. It’s just, well…” He paused, unable to organize his thoughts. “I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.” A tear escaped from her eye and rolled down her cheek. He swallowed and tried to apologize again. Before he could open his mouth however, Grace raised her hand.

     “Answer a question for me, will you?” She then faced him and he gave a nod. “Did you even try?”

     His answer must have registered on his face and he saw the sadness in her eyes deepen.

     “I couldn’t seem to do it. I’m sorry,” he said.

     Grace turned away again as she struggled to keep the rest of her tears from falling. She then nodded with a smile of acceptance.

     “I heard a lot of people say we look good as a couple. But somehow, it didn’t make me happy. I think it’s because deep in my heart, I knew,” her voice broke and she swallowed the lump in her throat, “that we were never really a couple. I guess I just,” a sob escaped from her lips, “I just hoped that maybe I was the only one who thought that way.” She gave a soft, sad laugh. “Turns out, my heart was right. Thank you, Nick. For being honest.”

     She slapped her lap as she stood up. Grace took a gulp of air then finally looked at Nick.

     “Can you do me a favor?”

     Nick nodded.

     “Tell Rachelle, will you?”

     His eyes widened and he realized that Grace knew of his feelings for his best friend. He hoped she wouldn’t blame Rachelle for this break up. She turned around, ready to walk away.