Chapter Ten

October 7, 2011

 I want a boyfriend! And I want…him.

     “There are way too many people arriving in Heartlake City these days. Don’t you think?” Rachelle grumbled. “Some, I don’t mind but the others, oh hell no!

      “Are we back to Jessica?” Nick said, amused at Rachelle’s annoyance.

      She glowered at him. “Don’t remind me.”

      “You started.”

      “Hmph.”

      Classes had just ended and Rachelle was walking with Nick along the hallways, on their way to the judo club’s office.

      “But really, I’m glad your parents are back. Grace told me hers had just arrived this morning as well.” She sighed with longing. “I wish my dad’s home.”

      Nick smiled at her. “He’ll be back soon enough. You’re still not used to his job, are you?”

      “I guess. I mean, he’s a media consultant and all but he had always been working here in Heartlake. Sometimes I wish he hadn’t accepted a working contract abroad. I miss him,” Rachelle said, feeling overwhelmed with emotion.

      Nick draped his right arm around Rachelle’s shoulders to give her a small hug. “I’m sure he misses you too.”

      They continued walking, with Nick’s arm still in place. Rachelle spotted Grace talking with some of her classmates. She broke into a grin as she sprinted in that direction, Nick closely behind her.

      “Hey, Grace,” she greeted. “Hi everyone. I’m Rachelle.”

    “Hi, Rach.” Grace replied while everyone else was still awestruck. “This is Lia, Ronald and Michel. My classmates.”

      Rachelle shook everyone’s hands and then she introduced Nick as well.

      The small group was discussing an upcoming investigatory project in Physics when the entire lobby abruptly quieted. About seventeen different people stopped in mid-sentence, all of them forgetting what they were supposed to say. Rachelle was the last one talking but the sudden eerie silence made her slowly shut her mouth and turn towards the school entrance.  

      A sleek, black, and obviously luxurious car sped in through the gates and parked in one of the nearest lots to the entrance hall. Everyone seemed to have been struck by the sheer lavishness that they gaped at the car, their jaws dropped. One of its shiny doors opened and a guy wearing a pair of expensive Prada aviators emerged. A gust of wind decided to ruffle his jet-black hair as he closed the sedan’s door and began walking towards everybody else. His black leather jacket reflected the light in all directions, making him look all the more god-like.

      The boys in the lobby glared at the new arrival while the girls began to appear mesmerized. It was not odd however, that Rachelle and Nick were the only exceptions, considering how they must see the same things when they look at the mirror. Rachelle looked admiringly at the school’s guest, her eyes calculating. She turned to glance at Nick who immediately understood what was going on in her head. There didn’t seem to be anything wrong but there was something in Nick’s expression that bothered her. She didn’t manage to think further than that when she remembered the new guy and found herself extremely curious. She assumed a welcoming look and stared straight at his eyes.

      The man in black easily caught Rachelle’s smiling features, and understood it as friendliness, so he ambled to where she was currently standing.