Chapter Fifteen: Karma

I've been at the hospital for about three months, and I've been causing nothing but trouble. I snapped at a nurse, I punched a doctor, and I tried to kill my therapist by strangling her. So, due to my behavior, I was sent to the quiet room.

The quiet room was basically a white room covered in cushioning to prevent you from hurting yourself. Right now, I was pissed because I had to stay here until my attitude changed, and that's never gonna happen.

"Retards! Let me out of here! You motherfuckers!" I yelled, angrily, as I pounded on the door. After five minutes of pounding on the door, I gave up and slid my back down the wall, sitting down. Karma sure is a bitch when she wants to be.

"I could really use a Shinigami right about now." I mumbled before closing my eyes, taking a nap.

After a while, the door opened and the doctors let me out. I took a few steps out of the quiet room and stopped. "Ryoko, you can go out into the lobby." The doctor said. I glanced at him, noticing a pen in his shirt pocket. I swiftly grabbed the pen and jammed it into his neck. 

I ran down the hall, heading towards the exit. But I didn't get far as a doctor grabbed me from behind. "No! No, let me go!" I yelled, kicking my feet in the air. "A little help here!" The doctor called. Another doctor rushed over to us and grabbed my legs to keep me from kicking him away.

I jerked my body, trying to get myself out of their hold as they carried me into a room. They lied me down on the bed, trying to strap me in. I screamed and struggled, but it didn't do much once they finally got me restrained.

Once I was restrained, they left the room, leaving me to scream my brains out. After a while, I stayed quiet and a doctor came in. "Ms. Taizumi, it's time for your medicine." He said. I blankly stared at the ceiling as I hesitantly opened my mouth.

The doctor held a small cup with liquid in it and tilted it towards my lips. I drank the medicine down and went back to staring blankly at the ceiling. "Thank you for being so cooperative, Ms. Taizumi. Here, this is for you. As a reward." He said.

He placed a stuffed rabbit near my chest. I noticed it was the same stuffed rabbit they gave me the day after I arrived here. The rabbit was to help me calm down or if I needed to punch something. I did some pretty ruthless damage to that rabbit because I was angry.

As the doctor left, I raised my hand to the rabbit, holding it against me. "Karma... It sure is a bitch." I muttered.

After an hour of being strapped to a bed, the doctors let me go. I walked out into the lobby and sat down in a chair. When I went to sit down, my heart suddenly ached. "Ah!" I gripped the front of my white shirt where my heart was as it started to hurt.

"No... This can't be happening..." I said. I fell to my knees as the pain increased. I gasped, lifting my head as I knew exactly what was going on. "No... No!" I yelled. "This can't be happening... It can't. There's just no way,"

My whole body began to shake as sadness took over my body. "Gelus... is dead...?" I whispered. I hugged my body as the tears spilled over my face. "Gelus!!" I yelled, throwing my head back. "Ryoko, calm down!" The doctor said.

"No!" I shoved him away and grabbed at my head. "Gelus! Gelus!" I yelled, crying my eyes out. I began tearing out my hair, shaking my head violently. "Ryoko, calm down!" The doctor said. "Get away from me!" I punched him in the face.

"Security!" Six doctors restrained me, forcing me to my feet and taking me back to the quiet room. "Let go of me! Damn it! I said, let go!" I yelled as I tried to get myself out of their hold. 

"Grr...! Karma, you bitch! Why do you do this to me?! How many more people are you going to take away from me until you're satsified, huh?! How much must you take from me until I'm miserable?! Why?! Why do you hate me?!" I yelled angrily.

When we got to the quiet room, the doctors forced me in their and locked the door. I screamed as I pounded my fist on the wall. After my rant, I started sobbing. I slid my back down the white cushioned wall and pulled my knees to my chest, sobbing harder.

"Gelus... Gelus!!" I yelled. Why does this have to happen to me? What did I ever do to deserve this? Why can't I, for once, be happy? Please... Just let me be happy...

L's POV (A few weeks later)

"Light, where did you find the Death Note?" I asked him. "On school grounds. It's strange because it was the same book that girl had. She said, it was hers." Light explained. "A girl?" The detective repeated.

"Yeah, her name was Ryoko Taizumi. But I don't get why she abandoned the book when it belonged to her." Light said. "How do you know this girl?" I asked. "We went to preschool together. After her Mom died, she was a wreck. She went to the hospital to get some help. Her aunt died a couple months ago, according to the news. After that, she hasn't come into school since." He explained.

"Hmm..." I faced the TV screen as it showed the news of a woman named Chie Warko, who was a famous spokesperson. It also talked about how a young girl was taken to the Psychiatric Ward who happened to be the niece of the spokesperson. 

"Maybe there's a connection to Ryoko and the Death Note." I said. "I'm going to the bathroom." Light informed before leaving the room.

Light's POV

Once I was in the hallway, I summoned Ryuk. "Ryuk," He appeared in front of me, grinning his usual grin. "You know that girl who's in my class? What can you tell me about her?" I asked. "Depends on which girl you're talking about." He said.

"The girl named Ryoko." I replied. He stayed quiet for a second before answering. "Yeah, I know her. She was the one who created me." He said. "Created you?! She created you?!" I asked, dumbfounded. "Not only did she create me, but she's also the creator of the Death Note." He said.

"So, maybe if we find her, we could also find Kira." I said. "I don't think that's going to be possible. Ryoko's in a Psychiatric Ward, according to this." L said, looking at the news.

"Looks like Ryoko finally lost her sanity. No surprise due to the amount of losses she's dealt with. If you go to her now, there's no doubt she'll try to kill you. You know what they say: Karma's a bitch. At least for Ryoko, anyway." Ryuk chuckled. If Ryoko's the creator of the Death Note, she might be our only hope of tracking down Kira.

"I say, we go to the Psychiatric Ward and try to convince the doctors to let Ryoko out." I said. "And what makes you think she'll be willing to help us? How do we know she won't try to kill us?" The detective asked.

"If all her sanity's not completely gone, she might be our only hope." I said. L looked at me, studying me. "Okay, let's do it."