Chapter Four: The Puppy

For the rest of the day, I stayed hidden away in the corner of the classroom as I hugged Gelus, crying into his body. "You're the only one that understands me, Gelus. You're the only one who likes me." I said as I cried some more.

I lifted my head and looked to the side, spotting Rem. Only she wasn't in my drawing, she was right here, staring at me, in real life. However, no one else could see her. I'm the only one who could. Always.

"What am I going to do, Rem? Everyone hates me." I said to her. She didn't answer as she just stared at me. "Why won't you talk? Not you or the other creature will talk to me." I mentioned. I looked in front of me as the creature from last night appeared in front of me with the same grin he had last night.

"Are you here to comfort me? Or are you here to stare at me just like Rem?" I asked. As expected, he didn't answer. I hugged Gelus tighter until a name randomly popped in my mind. "Ryuk... I'll call you Ryuk." I said, looking at the creature in front of me.

I gasped when his arm began to move. He's never moved before. So far, he's just stood there and stared at me. I expected him to move again, but he didn't. Ryuk just stood there with his arm stretched out to me.

Hesitantly, I reached out to him and gently grasped his hand. What surprised me even more was that his fingers gently wrapped around my tiny hand. "You'll be my friend, right?" I asked him. "You, Rem, and Gelus... You'll always be here for me." I said.

I'm not sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me, but I could've swore I saw Ryuk's smile grow bigger. I glanced at Ms. Rinko as she was staring at me, suspiciously. I quickly let go of Ryuk's hand and held Gelus tighter.

When it was recess, Ms. Rinko let us go outside and we played at the playground. I sat on a small table by myself with some markers. I was coloring a new friend. This time with a cattle skull and a necklace. I decided I was going to call him Gook.

I hid my drawing when Ms. Rinko walked over to me. "How are you feeling, Ryoko?" She asked. "I'm feeling a lot better because I was drawing." I explained. "That's good. Will your mother be here to pick you up?" Ms. Rinko asked.

"Yes, thank you for asking." I said, smiling. She smiled back and petted my head before going back to a couple of kids who were on the slide. I went into my backpack and got out Gelus. When I did that, Rem and Ryuk appeared behind me.

I smiled because I was happy to have their company with me. I began to draw Gook while humming to myself. As I was drawing him, I heard a small bark. I looked up from my drawing and spotted a puppy looking at me.

He sat down as his tongue was hanging out while his tail was swaying from side to side. "Are you here to keep me company, doggie?" I asked him. The puppy panted as he stared at me. While he was doing that, I went back to drawing.

When recess was over, we went back inside and had lunch. I ate by myself while I was finishing up on Gook's appearance.

"That's a nice drawing

"That's a nice drawing." I gasped and quickly covered my drawing with my arms. Light Yagami stood by me, his eyes glued to my covered drawing. "W-What?" I asked. "Your drawing. It's cool. You're a talented artist. Anyway, just wanted to let you know." He said.

He walked away, going inside the school building. "Thank you..." I whispered.

(Time skip)

When school was over, I put Gelus in my bag and exited the school. As I walked outside, I saw the puppy that kept me company during recess. "Hello, there. Have you been waiting for me?" I asked it. The puppy barked, as if answering my question.

I set my bag down and kneeled down. The puppy ran over to me and began licking my face. I giggled as I petted him. I noticed it had a collar around his neck. "Do you belong to someone?" I asked him. I held him close to me and looked around.

The streets were empty and there was no one in sight. "Would you like to wait with me?" I asked the puppy. He barked again and we sat on the bench. The puppy lied his head on my lap as we waited for my mother to come pick me up.

I petted his head as we waited for my mother. As I was waiting, I fell asleep on the bench.

"Ryoko?" I snapped my eyes open as Ms. Rinko had her hand over my shoulder. "I'm surprised your still here. Your mother didn't come to pick you up?" She asked. "I think she's running late." I said. "How about I take you home?" She offered.

I looked down at the dog that was with me as he woke up. "Sam! Sam, there you are!" The dog barked before running over to a girl. "Silly dog! You know you're not supposed to leave the house without your leash. Come on, let's go home."

The dog barked and followed the girl home. "Bye-bye... Sam." I said, waving to him. I was little sad that he left. But at least I got to spend a little time with him.