All because of a piece of paper. (or around 20)

It had been raining all day. Raindrops left trails on the cafe windows where Rhydian Merrick was busy scribbling on a piece of paper. Other papers surrounded him, all filled completely with minuscule writing. A half-drunk cup of black tea sat on the table, cornered against the wall by a pile of crumpled up papers. Ink stained Rhydian's hands after a good two hours of furious scrawling. He chewed on the end of the pen as he stared at the last sentence he had written, silently debating whether or not he should keep it, finally deciding just to leave it there and continued on for another hour. 

By around 4:00, he looked up from writing and shifted his gaze to the window, which was still dripping with precipitation. It's raining even heavier than before, he thought to himself, a ghost of a smile on his face.

After a quick, much-needed stretch, he took off his glasses and cleaned them with the hem of his grey tank top, listening to the sounds of the Mad Hatter Cafe as the employees and customers went about their business. It was Rhydian's favorite place to be beside the tearoom on Dove Street. It wasn't only the name that he loved, but the air about the cafe made him relax. Not to mention the fact that it was almost entirely devoid of the technology that most of the nation relied heavily upon. It was a nice change. And, he didn't have to worry about the annoying dogs that roamed around the rich- as some people called it- neighborhood. Despite the fact that they belonged to residents of the neighborhood, it infuriated him that the canines were just let loose. Sure some were friendly and didn't jump up to murder you but others could be vicious little monsters.

Rhydian put his glasses back on and raked his leaf green eyes over the paper-strewn table. I should clean this up. The waitress wouldn't be able to find his teacup if he didn't.

Carefully, he began to search through the piles of crumpled papers for the cup, not wanting to knock it over, spill cold tea on his work, and watch as it bled the words together into meaningless blotches.

He found it and drank the remaining dregs, not really minding the temperature. Feeling both slightly defeated and strangely pleased with the number of crumpled papers he had managed to accumulate on the table that day, he began to sweep them into his bag to be recycled later.

Once he finished, his eyes rested on the pile of papers that had luckily survived his chaotic thinking process.

Taking out his pen again, Rhydian grabbed the paper at the bottom of the thin pile and began to scrutinize his work. The plot still needs more development...

Finally, after scratching out a few more sentences and suggesting suitable replacements, he put his pen down and cracked his knuckles. The sound of his fingers cracking in unison placed a smile of satisfaction on his pale face before he stood and gathered his writing together. He swung his bag over his shoulder and inhaled the smell of coffee before letting out a sigh and beginning to make his way out of the cozy coffee shop.

To his surprise, the rain had lessened to a light drizzle as he stepped outside onto the cobblestone sidewalk. His light blue-purple hair blew into his eyes as a breeze made its way past, causing the pages of writing to flutter. Just as he brushed the strands of his bangs away, a couple caught his eye. They were across the street, holding hands and being all happy and smiley. That's, what, the fifth couple I've seen today? Rhydian grimaced at the two, their cheerful voices making his skin prickle in annoyance. He didn't know if he was envious or jealous or just downright disgusted by relationships in general, but he knew for certain that he couldn't be around the bloody things. He had never been in a relationship himself, but he had been near enough of them to know he didn't want to be within earshot of one. The pale boy had absolutely no patience for relationships.

They're just so... tiresome, Rhydian thought bitterly to himself, wishing the couple would walk faster. He finally just rolled his eyes and adjusted the small stack of papers sitting in the crook of his arm.