Chapter 1

"Mom this is stupid." I grumbled in the back of the car, surrounded by boxes full of my stuff.

"Oh honey it's not that big of a deal!" My mom replied from the passenger's seat, fixing her make up in the small mirror beneath the visor.

"What do you mean not that big of a deal? It's a huge deal!" My father argued beside her. "Going to Nightshade Academy has been a tradition in our family for over four generations! My great grandfather attended the school when it first open, then my grandfather, my father, your mother and myself, and now you. It's more than just a tradition, it's a legacy!" I sighed and quickly pulled my headphones on over my head. I pushed play on my I-Pod and turned the volume all the way up, blocking out my father's rant. I turned my head and leaned it against the window. Nightshade Academy was a prestigious school for the wicked and nonexistent. In other words, it's a school for ghouls and monsters thought to be solely of myths and legends. How is that possible you say? Well believe it or not it's very possible. All the creatures of fantasy you've been told as a child that kept you checking under your bed and in your closets at night are real. Vampires, werewolves, witches, ghosts, all of them exist. They've survived by coexisting with the humans who have slowly taken over most, but not all of the world. There are still communities out there with inhabitants consisting of nothing but our kind. Nightshade Academy is a boarding school for these so called figments of the human imagination where we can learn in an environment where we can be ourselves as well as learn to coexist with the humans and even disguise ourselves as them. The school accepts students from grades six to twelve. It's separated into the middle and high school division. Unfortunately, due to some family issues, I wasn't able to start at this fine establishment until now which will be my first year in high school. It sucks because everyone else in my grade has most likely been there since year one and have already established clicks and have their own groups of friends, none of which I'll be able to fit into right away. I'll be a total loner and it's just not fair. That's why I just wanted to stay at my old school where I know people.

"Oliver are you listening to me?" My father's voice called out above my music. I turned the volume down and turned towards him.

"Huh?"

His face reddened and he looked like he was on the verge of blowing up.

"Honey." My mom warned him in a stern voice replacing her makeup in her purse. My dad could get so passionate about the weirdest things.

"Now remember Ollie." My mom continued, using my nickname. "We sent a majority of your things to the school already and they should've been sent up to your room. You have a map of the school in the side pocket of your backpack, use it to find the main office and you can drop off the rest of your things there as well as get your room number, key, and class schedule. You'll have all day tomorrow to explore the campus before regular classes start and don't forget that the welcome back banquet is at six o'clock sharp tomorrow evening. Don't be late. I packed all your textbooks in your school bag and your school uniform is in your big suitcase, and also-"

"Mom!" I interrupted. "I got it ok!" Gosh she could treat me like such a little kid sometimes.

"Alight sweetie, I just want to make sure you'll be ok." She smiled apologetically at me. Another fifteen minutes or so later we pulled up to the main entrance of the academy. A huge iron gate with the letters N and A twisted into the metal stood high above us, protecting the academy from unwanted strangers. The gate seemed to extend for miles on end in either direction. A guard sitting in the little station that controlled the gate stood up and walked over to the driver's side door. My father rolled the window down and smiled pleasantly up at him.

"Good afternoon." He said cheerfully.

"Good afternoon." The guard replied warily, eyeing him suspiciously. "What brings you folks here?"