Chapter 3

AN: I AM SOOOO SORRY!!! Yeah I underestimated how hard it would be to update stories while at AIT (Advanced Individual Training) at Fort Lee. However, I am finally through with training and I'm back home :) I will have new updates to these stories weekly I promise you so here you go, a new chapter of Nightshade Academy! I want to dedicate this chapter to all the readers who have kept up with my stories despite the late updates and especially to loveboyxboy1 for feverishly commenting and voting on every chapter of the stories I have posted so far. You're awesome and your votes of confidence really do help when I'm writing these stories! I hope you like it :3

I stood there, my heart pounding against my rib cage, as the time for the inevitable suicide show came closer and closer. In order to prepare for today's show, the four of us ended up staying at the music studio and practicing until midnight. We crashed on the couches right after and passed out. When Jay left the band, the three of them decided to ditch their old name Skrull and come up with a new one. In between our hardcore practice sessions the four of us tried to come up with a cool new name. Can't say we were too successful though. In the end it was down to Toxic Teddy Bears, Violent Bone Crushers, or Smexy Ones. Can you guess who suggested what? I also realized after spending the night with these guys that they didn't have a set style for their band. They played whatever music they enjoyed so it ranged from pop to heavy metal. They mostly stuck with rock though and did a lot of cover songs. Dakota and Jay were the ones who came up with their original songs together, but now they were down to just one songwriter. Since it was too late to write a new song, and no one wanted to play one of their old ones, we decided to do a cover of Somebody I Used to Know by Gotye in honor of Jay.

I clutched my guitar nervously in my hands glancing over the crowd. Oh man. What did I get myself into? The Welcome Back Banquet was actually a huge cook out held in the school's gigantic court yard. They were using the stone amphitheater to preform on and the first act was getting ready to start. I watched longingly as everyone else laughed together and enjoyed their last moments of summer break before classes started again. I should be over there. I should be eating that delicious looking barbecue and trying to make new friends. Instead I was here, glancing over the enormous crowd of bodies as my nerves half suffocated me to death. I turned my back on the crowd and closed my eyes. I took deep breaths trying to calm my racing heart.

"Ok, ok." I whispered to myself, running a clammy hand through my hair. "Just relax."

Around me other students were preparing for their acts. I guess it was tradition for the school to throw a sort of talent show for the students to enjoy at this welcome back fest. I opened my eyes and watched as a girl and boy practiced a dance number. Not far from where they stood was another girl who was mixing a potion of sorts in a black calderon which sputtered colorful smoke in synch with a dub step song she was playing quietly on her iPod. I imagine for her official act the smoke would be larger and the colors brighter. Then there they were. The jerks who were causing me all this emotional distress. They stood there tuning their instruments and checking over the rest of their equipment. I looked over to the guy Raven had pointed out when we first approached the stage area. Jay was definitely a catch. I could understand how his popularity would undoubtedly grow with his natural good looks, but I wondered if he had the talent to back it up. His hair was silver and shown like starlight in the sun. I knew it was naturally that way and probably had something to do with his race, which was something I didn't quite know yet. His eyes were a twinkling blue and his skin was a surreal ivory color. He was dressed all in black with a Rosario chocker around his neck. A silver guitar was slung around his shoulder and I watched as he lightly strummed their chords while mouthing the words to whatever song they were going to play. The more I watched his cool demeanor the more pissed off I felt. Because of this guy I had to endure this stupid torture which may or may not result in total failure and cause my already loser self to become even more of a dweeb in the eyes of the student body. I could totally lose any chance I had to fit in and never be able to recover from it. I would have no friends and spend the rest of my days here in solitude, forever known as the guy who epically failed at the Welcome Back Banquet. I glared daggers over at him hoping my rage would pierce through his relaxed aura.