Chapter Six

I opened the laptop back up, it was still sitting where I had left it before our late lunch. I studied the picture of Rebecca. Could it be possible she was my birth mother? I was adopted, sure I gathered that much. I didn't really need any more proof when my infertile mother never gave birth in a hospital. But adoptions happen everywhere right?

It just seemed to perfect. The situation, me running in to Toni, Rebecca working here. It all seemed to set up. Finding a birth parent when the adoption was closed or secret was supposed to be difficult.

Not fall in your lap easy.

“I always thought I got my porcelain skin from my mother” I whispered “I guess that's not true huh”

"Are you okay?” Nick questioned gingerly, I could tell he felt odd asking that question, because who would be completely 100% okay with discovering their life wasn't exactly what they thought it was.

I shook my head and continued to stare at the picture.

“I need to go” I muttered finally, as I shut the lap top

 “Give me a few minutes and I'll go home too”

 “I need something thinking time, besides, my car is here.” I replied, desperate to be alone for a moment.

 “Alright, I'll see you at home soon okay baby?” Nick bent down and pressed his lips gently against my forehead “We'll work it all out okay?”

 Numbly I nodded and stood up. I made my way back to my car in the parking lot, although once I was there, I didn't remember making the journey. Without questioning it I got inside my car and just drove. I drove for a while, aimlessly. I was aware my bodyguards were following me however, and so I decided on a destination. Rebecca's apartment.

Maybe Nicks (albeit sarcastic) idea was just the ticket. Perhaps I needed to come right out and say it. I parked the car and made my way back up to the apartment and then rang the buzzer.

“hello!” toni giggled “This is Toni!”

“hey Toni, its Sarah!”

 A few seconds later the door opened and Toni flew out the door and wrapped her arms around my waist

“I had the best day at school today. The mean girls wanted to play with me, but I told them no and walked away. I made friends with a girl in my class and we ate lunch together and everything!”

 “That's awesome hun! Is your mom around?”

“She's making cupcakes! Come in!”

Toni began walking away so I closed the apartment door and began following her through the room.

“Mommy, Sarah is here!” Toni sang out as we walked into the kitchen. Rebecca was lining baking trays.

“You have to thank Nick, this entire place was fully stocked. I don't know what else to say but thank you!”

“He's a good man” I agreed with a smile.

I sat down on a stool and watched Rebecca drop spoonfuls of her cupcake batter into the patty cases. Toni helped of course by licking the bowl once Rebecca was done. Tears pricked at my eyes as I remembered my own childhood, and while the moments with my mom had been cut short at 7, I still remembered baking with her like it was yesterday.