Chapter Thirty One

The next few days were a complete blur. In fact the past few weeks had been a complete blur. More than once I'd wondered if it had all really happened. Of course, the evidence around me told me it had. My injured husband and my injured friend were released from hospital on the same day. Both carrying wounds that could have killed them if it weren't for mere millimeters. But like everything that had happened, their life threatening injuries would eventually begin to fade over time.

DJ had explained a watered down version of the whole truth to the media. They ate it up like moths to a flame. For three days Nick and I were splashed all over the gossipy internet websites. Our story told in so many different ways painting different people in different lights. One publication stated I'd been the one to shoot Arnold, another stated that Josh, Nick and I were actually in a polygamous relationship. It was all very farfetched, and quite frankly amusing. Then by the end of the week, another famous singer wore a leopard print jumpsuit that malfunctioned on stage and our faces were replaced with boobs.

Christine and Aaron were charged with a range of offenses, and neither one could make bail. The ranch was closed down, and the members were admitted to a private rehab center. The ride hadn't been smooth, but we'd done what we'd set out to do. We'd ended Arnold. Christine and Aaron wouldn't be in prison forever, but we all lived in hope that with clearer heads, they'd come to their senses too. Like Josh had.

“Do I look alright?” Josh asked, walking out to the living area, he stood in front of Nick, Toni and I in Jeans and a t-shirt. Almost the exact same outfit he'd come out and asked about three times already.

“Relax, Man. You look fine, Sit down before you give yourself an ulcer” Nick groaned, his tone was annoyed, but the smirk on his face told me he was amused.

“I'm meeting my daughter Nick. I want to make a good impression” Josh replied, poking his tongue out in Nicks direction like a child straight afterward, Toni giggled.

“Your daughter is only 8 months old. You could wear a burlap sack and she wouldn't care” Nick teased, “You sure the one you're wanting to impress isn't the babies mom”

Josh's face went bright red, he screwed up his face and pulled at the shirt.

“Josh, You look great. Amelia will think so too” I smiled, “and Isla will love you. You're kind of hard to hate.”

Josh smiled and looked at the floor. His shoulders rose and fell a few times before he walked around and sat down on one of the armchairs.

He looked incredibly nervous, which was understandable. Once Amelia had heard what Josh had done, she called him and told him she knew that he wasn't a threat and she felt comfortable allowing him to see their daughter. Josh had been on a nervous high even since.

When the door buzzer sounded Josh jumped to his feet like a giddy teenager. He obviously forgotten the still healing wound in his gut because he doubled over in pain. I stood up and ran over.

“Fuck” He groaned “That hurt”

“You've only been out of the hospital five days, take it easy...”

Josh stood up and lifted his shirt, The dressing still looked clean, so he had probably just stretched it a little to much the wrong way. I pointed at the chair and order him to sit, then walked over to the front door myself.

The buzzer was Amelia, so I waited in the foyer by the elevator for her. She always came with enough baby supplies to last quintuplets for a week. The door dinged, and then opened. Surprisingly, Amelia proved me wrong. She had a small baby bag and Isla's buggy.