Chapter Three

Nick stared at me for a second, and then a small smile crept on to his face.

“I love you” He murmured as he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around my waist.

“I’m still angry at you” I replied sternly, still I melted in to him and wrapped my arms around his neck

“I love our little tiffs. The making up is the best part”

“Well there won’t be much making up tonight Nick. We’re going to have house guests. Look Janie is waiting for me. I’ll go have lunch and I’ll check in with the guards. I’m not giving them the info on where I am though. I’m fine”

Nick nodded and pressed his lips against mine. Momentarily I was warped away into another world. I forced myself to push him away, afraid of how carried away I could get if I forgot myself, and where we were.

“Alright baby. I’m sorry I’m being so protective; I just could never forgive myself if anything ever happened to you. I forget sometimes everything you’ve fought through and I don’t give you enough credit” Nick whispered as our faces drifted apart

“I know, and I know I should have asked about Rebecca and Toni. I just didn’t think. I saw myself in Rebecca and I knew I had to help”

Nick smiled and nodded

“Your heart is a big part of why I love you Sarah, you did think… you thought with your heart”

I smiled and kissed Nick one last time before leaving to meet Janie downstairs. I walked straight across to the café because I knew she’d already be eating. I didn’t order anything, for some reason I wasn’t hungry at all.

“Sarah! You made it” She exclaimed placing her coffee on the table in front of her

“I’m so sorry I’m late. I was helping that little girl then Nick and I had a five minute fight and made up, and ugh. It’s been a long day and its only lunch time” I sighed sinking in to the armchair.

“You made it, that’s the main thing. So anyway I thought you might like to know something about Marc and I” Janie whispered excitedly

“Oh?”

“Yeah, I didn’t want to tell you last night, being your night and all, but I found out something a couple of days ago”

My stomach dropped and I couldn’t tell if it was because of excitement or dread. I could almost guarantee what she was about to say. She sounded excited and happy, and she wasn’t forcing it like I was.

“Yes?”

“I’m Pregnant!” She exclaimed happily “About 8 weeks give or take a few days”

“The champagne” I replied, somewhat awkwardly “That’s why you gave it to me last night”

“Yes! Nick poured me a glass and I couldn’t think of a crafty way to dispose of it”

I nodded slowly, as I tried to take in Janie’s news. Part of me wanted to open my mouth and say I was pregnant too, that we could go along this journey together.

But for some reason I didn’t, or couldn’t.

I looked up at Janie whose smile was fading fast, probably in response to my lacklustre reaction to her wonderful news. I forced myself to smile, and grabbed her hand

“Congratulations Janie. You’re going to be an awesome mother”

“I hope so.”

“Janie you’re literally the kindest person I’ve ever met. If anyone will rock at being a Mom, it would be you”