Chapter 10

10. The Party

It was the day of Kate’s birthday party. We had brought her a little cake on Tuesday. She had passed by last night with an olive green dress and asked me if I could wear it to her party. I told her that I didn’t like dresses, but she insisted, saying that it was a semi-formal party. Reluctantly, I agreed to wear it. When I asked her where she had gotten the dress, she said it was one of hers that she didn’t wear often. At least I didn’t have to spend money on new clothes for the occasion.

It was about seven in the afternoon, and I was getting ready. I decided to wear some black heels that I had stuffed away in the closet and straightened my hair so that it wasn’t so wavy. Just for Kate, I even put on a bit of makeup. I had to admit, I liked the dress. It was an olive green sweetheart dress that hugged my body until right above my hips, where it then came down in waves to my knees. I didn’t wear dresses often, since I didn’t ever have the occasion to wear them and the dresses that I wore were usually uncomfortable, but this dress was actually comfortable, not to mention had a nice color.

There was a knock at the door. I walked downstairs, greeted by a smiling Sonia and Alex. Sonia was wearing a deep purple dress with silver heels. Alex was wearing a grey button up and black slacks. The two looked nice together. “Hey, Clair,” Alex greeted. Sonia waved excitedly. Ben had let them in. I smiled and waved back. “Hey you guys, you look wonderful.” I pulled them into hugs as soon as I reached them. “Thanks, you look great, too.”

“Alright, so I get that it’s Saturday, but what time will you be back from this party?” Ben inquired. “About eleven or so,” I answered. Ben nodded. “Well, you three be safe, alright?” We all nodded, and I gave Ben a quick hug before we left. Alex’s blue Dodge was sitting in the driveway waiting for us. “So, is Kenai coming with us or what?” He asked us. “He said that he’d get there a little later. He has to help his mom out with something, I think.” Alex nodded, and we all hopped into his car. “Doesn’t it take up a lot of gas?” Sonia asked him. Alex shrugged. “Not my money.” I shook my head at him. “You spoiled child.”

We arrived at Kate’s house in about fifteen minutes or so. Cars were parked throughout the block, and you could hear the faint sound of music. This would be the first time I would visit Kate’s house. As we walked in, teenagers were sprinkled about the house. The walls were decorated with streamers and balloons, and the lights were off so that the strobe light could be noticed. It took us a moment before we found Kate.

“Hi you three! Thank you so much for coming!” She rushed over to us and gave us each a hug. She was wearing a red dress with her hair in pretty curls. “Happy birthday,” I told her, handing her a little gift bag. We had all agreed to give her the presents we got her on the day of the party. I had decided to get her some perfume. Alex and Sonia had bought her a blouse. “Oh, thank you all so much! Food and drinks are on the table over there, so help yourself.” Presents in hand, she walked off upstairs to put them away, being stopped by a few people on the way.

I looked around the house, seeing a few slightly familiar faces. Most of the furniture had been put away somewhere, save for a couple of cream colored couches and some tables. Near the drinks, I found Eric talking to one of his friends. I blushed a bit. I felt really bad about last week. He had been avoiding me all week at school, so I never got around to apologizing. Fortunately, his friend left to talk to another person, so I took the opportunity to go and say sorry.

“Eric?” It was hard to hear over the music. He only knew that I was there because I tapped him on the shoulder. When he looked at me, his face turned serious. I pointed towards the kitchen, where it would hopefully be quieter. He agreed and followed me in. “What is it?” He asked. He really was upset.