Chapter 1

1. The New Boy

I was standing in the middle of the forest as usual, my white cotton dress flowing freely in the wind. I was walking straight ahead, as though I was going somewhere. The trees began to thin out, and I came into a clearing. There was a huge waterfall, water gushing at an incredibly fast rate. A single sapling lay beside the river. I walked towards it, and then stopped in my tracks. A golden light began to emanate from the sapling, and suddenly, a brown bear with chocolate brown fur and warm honey-brown eyes appeared. "Kenai . . ." I whispered, taking a few steps towards him. A golden light began to shine right where his heart would be, and within seconds, the light engulfed his entire body. I held my hand up in an attempt to block the bright, blinding light. The light faded away, revealing a boy. His honey brown eyes mirrored my guardian’s. "Kenai?" I asked. The boy smiled. Tears welled in my eyes. "Kenai! You’re back!" I yelled. "I never left." He said. I tried to run to him, but just when I had almost reached him, he disappeared.

My eyes shot open, my breathing the slightest bit heavy. The alarm of my clock blared through the quiet room, echoing off the walls, making it even louder. I sat up and sent my fist pounding down on the clock, the loud alarm finally coming to a stop. I looked around, the sun casting a bright, golden light that illuminated the room. I gave a sigh as I thought back on my dream. Just two days ago, I met a boy. He had chocolate brown hair and honey brown eyes that looked exactly like my deceased guardian bear. Six months ago, he had been shot and killed, facing the same ironic death as my mother. As it turns out, six months ago was when this new boy, who’s name was also Kenai, came out of a coma and had no memory of anything prior to it.

When Kenai had died, I begged Takeena, an Inuit shaman woman, to bring Kenai back to life, even though it meant that Kenai wouldn’t remember anything; not me, not anyone. I had spent two months with my bear, and this new boy had been in a coma for two months. I was sure that Takeena did what I had begged of her and brought back Kenai, only now, he was human. It was strange, though. I had named my guardian bear Kenai because of a movie from my childhood, which was of a man who had turned into a bear. In my life, however, my bear had turned into a man. The exact opposite had happened. How strange life was.

I got up from my bed and walked over to my dresser. As I passed the window at the right wall, which faced the Ursus’ residence, I noticed a boy passing by the window inside the other house. I stopped to look. Kenai was walking around his room, grabbing a shirt and a fresh pair of jeans. As though feeling my gaze, he looked up and out the window. I froze. Relief filled me as he smiled and waved. I waved back. He held up a finger, the universal signal to wait a moment, and wrote something down on a dry-erase bored. He held it up for me to read.

Meet me outside when you’re ready?

I smiled and nodded, walking over to the window to close the curtain. Since our windows were right across from each other, it would be easy for one to see the other one change. Before I closed it, I see a glimpse of his room. The only thing I could really see were the posters of Coldplay and U2. I smiled. My favorites. I also noticed a guitar next to the door.

I decided to but on a purple long-sleeved shirt, black skinny jeans, and my black Converse, leaving my hair down. I ran a hand through it. I had cut it just yesterday. Now it was just past my shoulders instead of being up to the middle of my back. I kind of missed my hair, but it would be easier to manage now, at least. When I jogged down the stairs, my happy mood surprising me, Ben already had breakfast made. "Leaving so soon?" He asked, placing waffles on a plate. "The new boy wants me to meet him outside so I can show him around school and stuff." I replied, grabbing a waffle from the plate. "Oh, yeah, him. What was his name again? Kevin? Kyle? It was the same name you gave to that bear, right?" I gave a sigh. "Kenai, Dad. And yes, they have the same name, but I don’t want you telling him anything about my bear, okay? Don’t even mention him." With that, I put the waffle in my mouth and walked outside. "See you tonight!" He called.