Chapter One

Sometimes I wonder why things must happen the way they do. Mother always said it was the way God intended it to be so not to question it. I have found that difficult to achieve, though, since Father told me I was very inquisitive and adventurous. Questions are what shapes the world; and I plan to change it.

I raced through hilly fields on our property, brushing my hand against every cherry tree branch I came across. I was deep in thought, thinking about the latest details in my current story. The air was perfect; light, breezy, crisp. The waves of the Potomac lapped against the shore. Everything was perfect.

"Liesel! Liesel! Get in here right now, young lady!" Mother called, displeased.

I began to slow down, and circled back up to my house. A Victorian-style mansion,with five bedrooms and a water closet, it was the grandest house in town. I would have personally preferred a writer's cottage, but I, being only twelve, have no say in anything involved with our financial affairs. As I swung open the back door, Mother started her lecture about how I neglected to do my chores and how running around was not for young ladies and how I ruined my dress and so on. I simply tuned her out, and returned to my original thoughts about my new story. "Liesel! Pay attention!" Mother snapped, "Now help Margaret wash the dishes, and clean up your dress! We have guests tonight!"

"Yes ma'am. But why must I help the servants? They are paid to do their jobs!"

"Liesel! Don't be so rude!" I began the treacherous work of drying thirty plates, twenty-some glasses, and nearly one hundred forks, spoons, and knives. I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed, squeaking nearly every second, which highly annoyed Margaret. She finally cracked. "Just... Please go. You're excused."

"Yes!" I whispered. "I mean, Thank you Margaret." I hurried out of the kitchen and nearly ran into Mother as I rushed to get outside. "Liesel! What do you think your doing?" she scolded.

"Margaret excused me early!"

"You should be getting ready then! The guests will arrive in ten minutes!"

"Father would have let me go outside," I mumbled. Father had mysteriously disappeared five years ago. Everyone presumed he was dead, but I still think he's alive.

"Liesel!"

"Yes ma'am." I slowly moped up the long staircase to my bedroom and plopped down on my bed to pout.

"Mother disapproves of pouting," my sister Annalise said, shaking her head.

"I don't care what Mother thinks."

"Suit yourself. Your sure to get a scolding." With that she sauntered out. I put on my most comfortable, yet decent looking, dress. It was a plain, purple one that went down to my ankles. I quite liked the look of it.

"Liesel! The guests are here!" I hurried down the steps and skidded to a stop right in front of Mr. Winchester.

"Excuse me, sir," I blushed and curtsied. Mother shook her head. I had no time to fix my bun, so half my hair was falling out or sticking up. Annalise, who was fourteen, curtsied politely while smiling. Mother looked pleased. At least one of her daughters had her act together. "Liesel, why don't you help Margaret in the kitchen?"

"But-"

"Liesel..."

"Yes ma'am." I sulked into the kitchen to help Margaret once again.

"What did you do to displease your mother now?" Margaret asked.

"What would you like me to do now?" I said crabbily.

"Why so glum? You're always so happy-go-lucky."

"Mother's so unfair! I have to-"

"That's enough now. You can start by getting the platter out." I did all the things Margaret asked me to do, even if it wasn't my best job. When it was time to wash the first course platter, I squeaked the rag across the plate.

"All right! That's enough! You're excused!"

"Thank you Margaret." I smiled as I dashed out of the kitchen, once again, and slid across the hall. 

"Liesel, it's time for bed. Go get ready, and please stay upstairs for the remainder of the night. Can you do that?" Mother called.

"Yes'm"

"Now up with you!" she patted me on the back. All the women laughed. I quickly scurried up the stairs, slightly embarrassed. I threw on my nightgown and grabbed my journal. I sighed as I plopped down on my window seat. All of my ideas flowed from my pen to my paper. My ideas about my father and his adventures in the forest and my evil stepsister Annalise. Mother thought they were ridiculous, after all they were only the fantasies from a young girls mind. But those are the stories that change the world.