Chapter Ten

"God damn it, my nose" Chichi complained and sneezed for the hundredth time. Her nose looked red and sore as she rubbed it vigorously. I ignored everyone and just kept my eyes down, trying to scoff my dinner down quickly. The canteen was full to the brim and the clash of knives and forks were irritating me. One half of my face was sore and semi-swollen and I was desperate to get an icepack. Thankfully no-one asked me what happened, they probably knew anyway but I just wanted to leave.

Once the last morsel was in my mouth, I got up and disposed of my tray. Walking out of the canteen I bumped into the only man I seemed  to be meeting constantly. Dr Jeffrey rolled his eyes at me and I tried to walk past him but he grabbed my arm.

"What happened to your face?" he asked me as he examined the bruise. I brushed his hand away and mumbled an excuse but it didn't look like he believed me. He dragged me into his office and although I didn't want to be looked at, I was happy that he cared. I sat on a seat as he applied ointment onto the bruise.

"How did this happen?" he asked while spreading the cold ointment. I pondered. Should I tell him? Or should I just dismiss it? He pressed too hard and I winced. No, he was a doctor, he had the authority to fire someone and that person will be Anna. I gulped before removing his hand away from me and sighed before looking to see if I had his attention.

"It was Anna, she slapped me across the face after hurting my arm. She even threatened me. I don't think she deserves to be working here." I told him bluntly. Dr Jeffrey stared at me and I believe a look of remorse flashed across his face before a glassy look overtook. He linked his hands together whilst clearing his throat.

"So you fell, that's alright. A fall won't do much harm to you as of right now" he replied. I was taken aback. What on earth was this man talking about?

"No, I didn't fall. Anna hurt me" I answered slowly and simply. 

"No, you fell. And that's what you will be telling everyone if they happen to ask" Dr Jeffrey said slowly. That's when realisation hit me. This wasn't a case of being misheard, he heard me perfectly clear. He was offering an excuse to hide Anna's abuse. My eyes formed tears as I spluttered pathetically.

"Why are you helping her? Help me! She abused me!" I screamed at him, as tears rolled down my cheek. 

"You fell" is all he said before turning his chair around and going back to his own business. I rubbed my tears away and ran out of the office. 

                                                                     Ξ ☼۞☼ Ξ 

4 Weeks Later

I was laughing in delight, tears springing in my eyes. I jumped up and down, hugging myself tightly then laughing all over again. I vomited! I actually vomited! I was feeling a bit under the weather all day. This must be morning sickness!

I rinsed out my mouth and washed my face before changing out of my nightgown. I didn't expect my upset stomach to give me such good news. The insemination must have worked! I didn't want to get over-excited so I rushed towards the office and knocked on the door.

"Dr Jeffrey, isn't in yet. What's got you in a rush?" Anna asked as she walked past me.

"Certainly not you" I muttered. She glared at me and I stuck my tongue out immaturely. I was impatiently jumping from one foot to the other before Jeffrey bustled in. I didn't greet him nor spoke to him as he brought his keys out and unlocked the door. I resisted the urge to shout at him to hurry up. Finally, when he managed to unlock his door, I pushed it open and sat myself down on the seat.