Chapter Sixteen

This place was driving me up the wall. Anna came to us the next day to 'explain' that Macy became suicidal during the night and was taken to an asylum. I was tempted to scoff at her explanation but I didn't want any suspicion to fall on me. What would I reply if anyone questioned me?

"What will happen to her baby?" asked a lady who was heavily pregnant, her hand resting on her swollen stomach. I couldn't help but think she was next. I didn't recognise her as she was not part of my group and I didn't bother to learn her name.What's the point? We were never seeing each other again and if the hospital staff continued to do what they were doing then we  wouldn't have seen anyone, indefinitely. 

I left to go to my room after the short and depressing meeting and decided to do something I was thinking about doing for a long time. The idea was stored away in my mind for too long and I hoped it would help me cope for a little while. Taking off the recording button I placed it on the desk facing me. Making sure the button lit up red, I began talking. And talking and talking.

I spoke about my loneliness in this god-forsaken place. The deaths I've witnessed yet I couldn't talk about. How emotionally and mentally strained I was for my baby and the underlying threat that I coul'ved been next. Worried that nobody would know if I was murdered and left to decompose at some dump. I sobbed about Chichi and Macy, whose lives were wasted. I promised that when this was all over I'll make sure they're remembered. I couldn't go on and burst into tears, without caring that eventually people will see this recording and witness my weak side.

I was wiping away my tears after I clipped on my button when a knock was heard on my door. For a split second I assumed Macy wanted to speak to me, because she was the last person to knock on my door but then I realised that Macy was gone. The horrific memory haunted me once again but I closed my eyes, willing it away while I opened the door. 

And another nightmare stood in front of me in the form of Anna. 

"Dr Jeffrey is asking for you" she informed bluntly.

"Finally putting me out of my misery I suppose" I retorted before pushing past her to go to his office. Without knocking I entered myself in to see the man munching through a chicken sandwich.

"Ah Hazel, I didn't expect to see you so early" the doctor spoke before putting his lunch away. "I wanted to increase the dose of Merudoxin we have been giving you".

"Why? Isn't what I'm having enough?" I asked with a touch of curiosity. 

"Everything is fine, if that's what you're worried about. I just wanted to increase the Merudoxin because I want to know if it'll quicken the process. I've explained all this before but if you want me to recap - the drug strengthens your reproductive system which includes your uterus-"

"Yes I know all this! But why are you increasing the dose?" I asked impatiently. The doctor cleared his throat. "Well as you are our fresh project I wanted to try out a higher dose to see it's effect"

"I'm not your guinea pig! You can't experiment on me!" I exclaimed. Doctor Jeffrey swivelled his chair to face me. A serious look on his face along with glassy eyes. 

"As much as I don't want to admit this, you are our guinea pig. All these women are. Weren't you paying attention to the news programmes? We couldn't experiment on animals. Why do you think we opted for humans? To experiment! You all signed up for it, it's all in the contract and you personally came to me Hazel remember your words. There's no backing out of this, I don't understand where this rebellious streak is coming from. You were so eager to try when I first met you"

I looked away. He was right. My enthusiasm at the beginning was a huge contrast to my emotions now. I really didn't understand what I was getting myself into. I sat in the chair that he got out and rolled up my sleeve. Dr Jeffrey got the injection and injected me with the dose. I didn't feel any different. 

"That's all now Hazel" Dr Jeffrey announced implying my cue to leave. I slammed the door shut as I walked out and suddenly a tingly sensation overcame my nose and I began sneezing. "Bless you" a nurse behind me answered with a sad smile on her face. I frowned at her expression but ignored it. Entering my room a torrent of sneezes erupted from me. I groaned as the idea of coming down with a cold struck me. I moaned in annoyance and collapsed onto my bed, waiting for sleep.

It's so short sorry!