Chapter Seven

I was staring out the window, drumming my fingers anxiously on the armrest. My eyes continously dashing towards the car clock with every second that passed. Suddenly Dr Jeffrey drove left onto a rocky pathway that led to nowhere. My body banged against the car seat door as we drove over huge potholes, my hands gripping the armrest tightly. My body vibrated with the vehicle as it drove across the bumpy path.

"Are you sure we're going the right way?" I asked nervously as I stretched my neck to see if there were any buildings ahead. The doctor said nothing and turned the engine off. I frowned. It didn't look like our destination. He got out of the car and opened my passenger door. That's when I noticed the small syringe he held in his hand. Before I could react, he placed a rough hand on my mouth and jabbed the needle through my arm. My eyes felt droopy, as my body began shutting down. The only thought that was whirling through my mind was:

What's going to happen to me now?

Ξ ☼۞☼ Ξ                                

I woke up to an irritating headache and moaned as I tried to get up but the stinging pain on my left arm made me yelp in pain and anger. I slumped back onto the bed. Hearing the footsteps of someone approaching, I raised my heavy head to see Dr Jeffrey standing beside me. 

"Hope you're feeling well Hazel" he told me. Anger bubbled inside me and I tried to lash out when another painful sting erupted from my arm. I looked down to see  a little stream of blood rolling down from a fresh scab. 

"You need to be more careful or you'll pull all your wires out. How else will we monitor you?" he said while picking up the limp wire, swapping it with a sterile needle and placing it back into my arm. I glared at him.

"What the hell did you do to me?" I cried out. The doctor took off his glasses and began wiping them on the front of his white lab coat which I just realised he changed into. "Well?" 

"I had to inject you with a sedative. This hospital is in a secret location, we cannot risk any of the patients, for example you, to find out where we are. The sharp pain in your arm will slowly numb down so don't whine about it. I do not have the time"

"Why do I have such a painful headache then?"

"Oh the men carrying you here accidentally banged your head on the doorway. Do not worry, you are not concussed, just in some pain. If you have any problems don't bother me but bother the nurses. That is what they're paid for" 

"I'm being well looked after" I muttered sarcstically, watching Dr Jeffrey's back as he exited the room. "We try our best" he called back.

Ξ ☼۞☼ Ξ 

I slept for a couple of hours before I was nudged awake by a plump woman dressed in a white apron and hairnet. She slowly pulled me up and placed a soft pillow behind me so I was comfortably sitting up.

"Time for your food ma'am" she announced while handing me an unfamiliar device. Staring at the object in a confused state, the woman took it away from me and pushed down a button on it's left. The device came to life with the name "Food4U" lighting up at the centre. I stared at the object intently, like seeing my flying car come to life for the first time. Soon a page loaded up with different cuisines and salads. The woman handed it back to me.

"Pick anything you want" she explained. I stared at the screen, it was like a tablet but entirely based on food. I found the search icon and typed out 'lasagne' and chose the course of food I liked. After deciding on my meal I handed it back to the woman. 

"I didn't know we could do online take-away from a hospital" I told her, really pleased that the hospital had some class. Frowning at me, the woman turned around and pointed the device to an empty space on a table. Soon a laser emitted from the device and my lasagne was slowly materialising. I gaped. Was this really happening?

The woman grabbed the plate of lasagne and handed it to me, It was steaming hot and I poked the food with my finger to believe it was really there. 

"How did you do that?" I whispered as I inspected the food, incapable of ignoring the delicious aroma wafting into my nose, but all she did was tap her nose before leaving the room and letting me eat in peace. While I was so deeply engrossed  in savoring my lasagne, I didn't notice the brisk woman enter my room. As I was scooping the last of my lasagne she cleared her throat loudly and jolted me out of my 'happy food' trance. Laughing sheepishly, I immediately wiped off the sauce from my mouth and stared at the woman who was looking at me amusedly.

 "Hazel Green I assume?" she asked. I nodded slowly and suspiciously. The woman held out her hand for me to shake which I shook tentatively. 

"I'm Anna your supervisor and consultant during your time here. If you have any problems then you come to me first alright?"

"So... you're basically my matron" I summarised. Anna narrowed her eyes at me unappreciatively. "Your supervisor and consultant" she repeated clearly, emphasizing each syllable. I raised my hands in mock surrender and chuckled but it did not look like Anna understood my humor well. My laughter died down awkwardly and I stared at a mark on the floor that suddenly looked very appealing to me. 

"Very funny Hazel Green. Here's some more good news, in fifteen minutes Dr Jeffrey will be coming to collect you for your insemination and then you can meet the rest of the patients" she announced before heading towards the exit.

"Wait what? I cried out. Anna smirked at me before turning around to leave.

"Anna!"

My 'supervisor and consultant' stopped but didn't turn around. "Does an insemination hurt?" I asked, trying to keep the fear out of my voice. I practically heard her snort in distaste.

"You tell me. Once they place a huge catheter inside you" she answered. It was hard to miss her nasty tone. 

"Wait, what's a catheter?" I shouted but Anna already left the room. I could have sworn I heard her cackle echo through the hallway. I slumped back down onto my bed, suddenly the lasagne didn't seem that appealing for my stomach.

Ξ ☼۞☼ Ξ

Definition of insemination: To introduce or inject semen into the reproductive tract of (a female).