Chapter Three

"It's not what I expected" I admitted to Derreck. He grinned. "Were you expecting some kind of headquarters with people in suits planning a protest?" he teased. I laughed nervously wondering, how on earth did he figure out what I was thinking? We were standing in a small hall with a plain white ceiling above and a brown laminated floor. A couple of chairs were stacked in the corner. There wasn't even a single piece of electronic gadgets to prove we were in the era of technology, which is a sight people would pay to see in this century!

"They have meetings where everyone comes here and just plans. Then we all decide when to do the next protest. You'll be standing up there trying to convince them to fight about what you want to fight for" Derreck explained and pointed at a small stage. I nodded. Soon people began piling into the small hall until it was stuffed. 

"That's a lot of people!" I exclaimed as I saw people welcoming each other and hugging. "There's a lot who are on our side Hazel" Derreck answered. As we looked at the ongoing crowd in front of us a woman made her way to us and she was just stunning. Her cleopatra bobcut suited her heart shape face perfectly and there was a bluetooth on one ear which I noticed was the lastest type. 

The Bluetooth 9530... with the platinum border-line and automatic back-up storage that can fit approximately 300 contacts and store more information than the current iMac! It also allowed holograms to be displayed right in front of your face! My eyes lingered on the device that appealed to me so good and I held in a sigh as I realised my savings were still acres away from making a purchase.

As the women walked towards me my attention snapped to her. The red lipstick made her lips fuller and the shirt and pencil skirt she wore, definitely proved she was all woman. All woman. However I couldn't stop looking at the scar that ran down from her cheek to the end of her lip. It pulled down her features, as if she was permanently frowning. But the smile she sent us both told me otherwise. 

"Ah, this must be Hazel, right?" she asked Derreck. He nodded eagerly. The beautiful woman took out her hand and I shook it tentatively.

"Don't worry, I won't bite" she assured me with a wink and I laughed warily. Was she trying to be seductive?

"Hazel, this is Adrienne. She runs the protest group" Derreck introduced me. I nodded and smiled at her.

"Hazel's here to join the group. I'm telling you, she's great" Derreck praised me and beamed  at the woman in front of us. Adrienne returned the smile before turning away. However just before we were out of earshot she spoke over her shoulder "We'll decide that Derreck"

"I don't think she likes me" I admitted. Derreck placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. 

"That's all for show. You're a newbie, she has to flounce her authority, make you feel nervous. It's just a small test, don't worry about it" Derreck told me. "So I'm guessing she did that to everybody?" I inquired. Derreck pretended he hadn't heard and made an excuse that he needed to use the toilet. I rolled my eyes.

  Ξ ☼۞☼ Ξ 

Adrienne walked up onto the small stage, smiling at her audience. Everybody was standing and cheering for her. I noticed that a lot of men were at the front cheering like mad. They must have been crazy about her... oops sorry! Crazy to show their support! Yeah... that's what I meant. Adrienne raised one hand up and instantly the hall of people stopped screaming. It actually hurt to be blanketed in silence after being used to the noise entering my earways from every possible direction. I looked around to see that everyone was staring at their leader expectantly. I looked up at Adrienne too. Looking so powerful up on that stage, authority oozing out of her, it was like she was born to be a leader.