Chapter One

Flying cars and holograms existed, scientists have nearly discovered the answer to teleports. So I didn't know why they could not bother with a solution for an almighty traffic jam! What was even happening, that they had to stop a herd of flying cars from passing? These were the moments when I wished for the car with four wheels. Life must have been easier back then...

Finally, vehicles began flying at a much more preferable pace. Passing the towering skyscrapers kept me distracted as I couldn't help but stare at myself through the light glass panes. It was a nice clear day, a big contrast to the drastic weather I had experienced the past weeks or so. I felt the sun's rays warming my skin as it reflected through my car window. The content feeling nearly sidetracked me from my driving and I was pulled back into insipid reality once more as someone viciously attacked their horn behind me.

I slammed my car horn for bad luck's sake and raised the guy a finger when he decided to share some interesting vocabulary with me. He desperately needed a dictionary for Christmas this year. Passing the traffic light I could've sworn that I saw a guy with a black goatee being pushed into a hovering police car, with a MachoChacho milkshake in one hand. I was guessing it was his flying car too that was being towed away. Was he the whole reason why we were stuck in this jam? If my aim was accurate I would have chucked a killer heel at his head... not that I promote violence or anything.

Driving hastily to my university it was a miracle that I didn't receive a speeding ticket, especially after recently driving down the ticket inspector's own Fly-bike whilst getting out of my car the previous week. Jumping out of my car I dropped to the ground painfully, not being used to the distance above the ground my car actually was. Throwing my books into my bag, I hauled it over my shoulder and dashed up the steps of the university, pushing through the heavy doors and already heading towards my first lecture of the day.

"Wait Hazel!" someone shouted. I groaned as my name echoed through the hallway and I pivoted on one foot, mentally counting the seconds that were evading my grasp. Aisling scampered towards me, her cheeks red from running. Not being a healthy girl definitely had its drawbacks as Aisling demonstrated with her heavy pants. The beads of sweat that was slowly rolling down her forehead were perceptible and it took me much strength to withstand the sight of her sweat patches. Her blonde curls were scraped back into a tight ponytail, showing the exact 360 degrees of her round face. She was wearing a baby pink cardigan over a light blue dress filling my head with horrifying thoughts of her shopping in the children's section at a shopping centre. But enough about her strange and childish dress sense...

"What?" I asked her impatiently. I made the mistake of actually greeting her on my first day of university as now for some unknown reason, which I would pay scientists to figure out; Aisling assumed my greeting translated into "We're buddies!" Now I was stuck with her and she evidently didn't understand the tiny hints I sent her to leave me alone. And of course, what would a person do next if their small hints didn't succeed? Send bigger ones.

Shouting "Get lost!" at someone's face is never a great start to anyone's morning, but when you're in the lowest level of desperation your humanity flies out of the window. Or in my case, jumped to its death.

However.

If you say that to Aisling she'd just burst into a hiccup of laughter. That's right, laugh in your face as if you just announced the joke of the day.

"Ms Drew isn't in today. She announced it last week that she would be absent therefore there won't be a lecture"

"Why don't they just use her hologram?"

"Oh c'mon, even you know that hologram lectures are useless. The students just walk through her and ruin the program. It's also uncomfortable when some of the...sexually deprived students try and make a grab for her, and their hands just go right through her. Anyway... I just wanted to tell you that you could've come in a bit later."