Chapter 20 - Double Trouble?

Patrick's POV

"Have you listened to the radio show yesterday?" I asked. I hope she did listen to it. 

"What radio show?" Mia asked feigning innocence. For sure she knows what I'm talking about. 

Fine. Let me take things slow. After all, this is like my Nth attempt for today and finally she talked to me. 

Well, more on we have to talk to each other because our teacher told us to be partners in this activity. 

"The Hearst Radio Show! Have you?" I replied as I gave her a smile. 

She just gave me a nod in reply. "Can we just talk about the activity on hand right now? We still have to pass this by the end of this class session." she added as she glanced back at our activity sheet as she wrote some answers. 

"Oh yes yes, sure." I replied, still managing to give a smile. 

Geez, as always it's so hard to make Mia talk. Sigh. This takes a lot of effort and patience. 

Mia just keeps on writing the answers that are considered as part of her contribution in this activity. 

"Mia, please, talk to me?" I blurted out all of a sudden. I guess I'm kind of desperate right now. She never talks to me at all! It feels like I don't exist in this world!

She stopped writing as she looked at me blankly. "What do you want to talk about anyway?" she asked. 

"Umm uhh..." I trailed. What do I wanna talk about anyway? I just wanted her to talk to me. Think Patrick, think!!!

She looked back at our activity sheet as she continued writing. "My point exactly... we have nothing to talk about." she muttered loud enough for me to hear. 

Crap. Missed opportunity again!!!

"Ummm no no no. Will you be busy today?" I asked just so I can keep the conversation going. 

Geez talk to me please please please!!!

"I'm always busy." she just replied, still working on the activity sheet. 

"Well uhh, you should take a break or something! Find time to relax!" I said cheerfully as I try to lighten the mood. 

"Nah, bedtime will allow me to feel relaxed." she replied. 

"Umm, lunch!" I said out of the blue. 

"What?" 

God. I'm so incoherent today! I'm not making any sense at all!!!

"I mean, maybe you're not busy during lunchtime?" I asked. "I mean, you should at least make sure that you still get to eat at the right time even if you're busy all the time."

She just looked at me blankly, not knowing how to respond. Seconds are ticking by and her staring at me intently kind of makes me feel conscious. 

After what felt like an eternity, she finally looked away as she went back to writing some answers on our activity sheet. She didn't even bother to utter a word or give a non-verbal gesture as a response to what I have just said. 

Ughhh. Thoughts thoughts thoughts!!

Suddenly, an idea popped on my head! 

"Hey" I said

"Mmm?" She responded, as she's still busy finalizing the answers on our activity sheet. 

"I realized that tomorrow is Valentine's Day!" I said, as I laughed awkwardly. "Got any plans?"