14: A Touch Like Lightning

"Addy, over here! I'm open, pass the ball!" Rachel yelled over the field.

Addy couldn't concentrate. There was too much on her mind. This could be her last game. And in a few days it could be the last time she'd see Tom. She had to win this. She had to stay one more month. She had another game three days ago, on the 28th, which her team had won.

She was running full speed across the field. She didn't hear Rachel calling her. She kicked the ball too far ahead of her and a member from the other team got it. She groaned. Sweat dripped off her face as she continued to run in front of her net to try and stop the ball from getting in. She knew the game would end soon and they were at a tie. The team member with the ball was gliding towards the net and kicked it up high as a final resort. It was all slow motion from then. Addy jumped up as high as she could and swung her leg out. She fell to the ground. She didn't get up; she closed her eyes and hoped to God what she did counted for something. When she heard the final buzz sound and the other team cheer, a single tear fell down her cheek. Everything starting at that moment didn’t feel right; it was like an out-of-body experience. She wasn't herself. She stood up and made her way to the hotel, took a shower, and called Tom.

* * * * *

It was already 7:00pm by the team she reached the Kaulitz house. Bill was out, and she was thankful for that - considering what she had in mind this evening. Of course, she was blinded by a million different emotions, but she was sure what she felt for Tom was genuine love. She was ready to make the biggest mistake of her life.

Addy ran up the steps and rang the doorbell. This time it was Tom who swept her up into a bear hug.

"Hey, gorgeous. What are we going to be doing today? I got that movie you wanted to see. Or we could –"

Addy put her fingers to Tom's lips. "Shh. I was thinking we could try something different today." She had a devilish grin plastered on her face.

Tom looked slightly confused, but he let her lead him to his room nonetheless. He knew that sleeping together was a sensitive subject for her, so that was the last thing he thought of when he was sitting on his bed, Addy seemingly plastered to his lips. He finally got the hint when she pulled off her shirt, and then he backed away.

"What are you doing?"

"What does it look like?"

Tom wasn't convinced. "Don’t get me wrong, I'd love to do this, but are you okay? You don't seem yourself. Maybe this isn’t the right time."

You have to admit, Addy was pretty creative. She saw Tom was struggling with his conscious at that point, and she took that as her opportunity.

Within a minute, Addy had managed to get both of them undressed, and she didn’t even say a word.

* * * * *

Addy awoke the next morning to the sun streaming in through the window and a smile on her face. When she remembered the night before, her grin spread wider and she felt the spot next to her on the bed. But when that was all she felt, an empty spot, her smile faltered and she bolted up in bed. She rubbed her eyes and searched the room for any sign of Tom. She couldn't find one, so she let her head fall and a few tears slide out. She took a deep breath, trying to remember the contours of the sheets, the smell of the room, and the way the sun looked when it poked through the open blinds. Then she stood up. Not bothering to look for Tom anywhere else, she picked up her clothes. She was dressed within 5 minutes. When Tom was a few metres from the house with an arm full of breakfast from the nearby diner, all he could do was stare at her dumbly as she ran through his front door for the last time.

Addy was packed within one hour and on a plane to Canada in less than four.