Trust: The Blood on Our Hands (Pt. 1)

----- Hey! This is the first story I'm posting on here. I've actually written a lot more than this but I haven't typed it up yet. PLEASE COMMENT!!! I wanna know what you guys think ^^ btw, my story alternates throughout the pov of the four characters so if you're confused I'll tell you (up here) who point of view this is. Right now this is in the point of view of Belladonna, although you really don't need to know 'cause I'm sure you'll find that out if you read it =p

[Chapter 1]

The haunting silence and the chilling winds made each of us shiver as the four of us sauntered through the streets. Three of the others carried a brown bag of dry goods while I carried two large packs of bottled water. With no way to pay for our electricity or plumbing, the refrigerator and faucet would soon be of little used to us, so we were prepared. The only sounds were the padding of our feet on the empty road and the occasional shifting of our paper bags. With our car stolen and public transportation currently disabled, walking was the only transport we could partake in. I turned to look at my companions behind me, each face forlorn and grieved. Our cities; destroyed, man-kind; scant, and civilization; a distant past. We four were the few humans left in town that are both alive and sane. Our one priority; each other, our main goal; survive.

Our civilization was not broken down by something supernatural. An epidemic did not spread turning our people to zombies; aliens did not obtain and seize hold of the earth. This break-down of mankind, apocalypse you may say, came from mankind himself. Developing from mistrust and paranoia, a group of people claimed that only their small group could be trusted and all other humans the enemy. They started as a small organization that only cowered in fear of the outside world, but as they grew, so did their insanity.

"Hmm..." a muffled groan sounded in a nearby alleyway. I stiffened. I swung my head around and saw my friends do the same. Our eyes darted to the alleyway just before a scream escaped Ivy's lips.

"Augh! Get it off! Get it off!" We all darted to Ivy and lunged at the large shadow overtop of her. As soon as we had pushed it off of her it sprinted away, along with a bag of groceries.

"Bastard!" Hex cursed as she pulled out her pistol, "Get back here dammit!" The thief swerved and jerked erratically at the sound of the gunshot.

"Thief!" I shrieked as I pointed my rifle and fired. As soon as the shot rang out, the thief crumpled on the side of the road. Without missing a beat we flocked to Ivy.

"Ivy! Ivy, are you alright?" Violet panted, hoisting her up.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," Ivy answered, breathing even harder, "Haa... was that a... ugh... Reaper?" Quickly we helped her stagger up and brushed her off.

"Nah, just a thief," I answered, "Just took our groceries, well... almost took our groceries." We shuffled up to the thief's body I had just shot and reclaimed the bag he had taken.

"Oh wow honey!" Hex hooted as she pushed the body over with her foot, "Nice shot B.D. You been practicing?" I shook my head.

Violet answered for me, "How could a person with Reapers around. The minute they'd hear a..." She froze, as did the rest of us.

"Ivy! Grab the stuff and let's go!" Hex ordered, already sprinting a good ten yards ahead of us.

"Wait! The water!" I hollered, remembering that I had dropped it so I could fire.

"Forget it! Let's go!" Violet overruled, grabbing my wrist and dragging me away.

"But we need it!" I freed my hand from hers and snagged a case of water, leaving the other behind.

"Belladonna!" the girls screamed at me as I sped up to meet them, "Hurry, dammit, hurry!" As the adrenaline pulsed through my legs and back, I hoisted the water over my head and sprinted towards them. They were standing still, waiting for me.