A FEELING OF HOPE

CHAPTER 12

Tate stood outside her cell, and touched his cheek remembering the slap. If he didn't let her out, there would certainly be more of these, and he knew his mother wouldn't hold back. She was a small lady at five foot two, but she sure had a mean hand, I mean you wouldn't think it looking at her, she was tiny compared to his dad, but she was a fierce lady.

He opened the cell door, and took a deep breath before entering. She was sitting in the corner of her bed, her eyes lit up for a second before she realised he came empty handed. He saw the disappointing look in her eyes. He scratched his head and cleared his throat.

" I've ummm,..." Clearing his throat again. " You need to come with me " he told her.

She looked shocked initially then it was quickly replaced by fear.

" W where ? " she asked shakily.

He sighed. " Upstairs, to the pack house "

She looked confused. " P pack house ? "

" Yes, so hurry up " he said getting annoyed, when he saw her flinch at his tone he felt guilty.

" I mean please, I'm taking you up so umm so, umm you can have something to eat " he said making up the last sentence. He didn't want to tell her that if she didn't go up what would happen to him by the hands of his own mother. He touched his cheek again to remind himself what she was capable of.

She looked at him not convinced by his words.

" Look, I'm not going to hurt you, seriously I'm taking you up so you can get cleaned up and have something hot to eat " he said but didn't add that, oh by the way my mother wants to meet you too.

She hesitated thinking it over, which was making him feel annoyed with her.

" I don't have all day Elisa, so get up and come with me .....please " adding the please for her benefit. She got up slowly looking nervous, and tried straightening her creased up clothes, and then adjusting her hat, the action making him smirk.

She followed him upstairs but her eyes looking around nervously waiting for someone to pounce on her and hit her. She followed him until they reached the kitchen. She gasped at it when she saw it, it was absolutely beautiful, it was double the size of her old kitchen, all glossy white, with black granite work tops, the floor had white tiles, they were so clean you could probably see your reflection on it, the draws and cupboards were endless, it had every appliance imaginable, it really was magnificent. If the kitchen is like this I wonder what the rest of the house was like she thought. She felt out of place, totally out of place, she felt dirty and embarrassed, and looked down at her feet..." Oh no, I hope I didn't get the floor dirty " she thought nervously.

He watched her carefully, while she looked around in awe at the kitchen, he saw her glancing towards her feet, he gasped a little remembering that she didn't have any shoes.

He cleared his throat to get her attention, she looked at him nervously and was fidgeting slightly. He was really hoping his mother wouldn't turn up, but he spoke too soon, he heard her heels clicking furiously on the ground getting closer. He groaned. Elisa looked at him with confusion and the colour drained from her face when she heard the heels.

" Tate ? Tate ? I swear if that boy hasn't bought her he will be walking around with two balloons as his cheek " she was yelling as she was walking, the door flying open...

" Tate ? Tayyyyyyyyyyyyy .....Ohhhhhhh ? " she said abruptly screeching to a halt when she saw Tate standing in the kitchen, her head whipping around to where Elisa was standing, her eyes widening when she looked at the child from head to toe, gasping when they reached her feet, she quickly looked towards Tate and narrowed her eyes dangerpusly at him. He gulped.