Chapter 1

Every werewolf has a mate.

That's what they say.

There is a story passed among us. Each werewolf pays a price for being able to turn into a wolf. In heaven, your soul is torn in half and fused with another. When you meet that person again, you feel an instant attraction. That is called Imprinting. To become one with the person you love, you have to mark them upon seeing them. During the months that follow, you have to bed them to complete the bond.

I do not believe in this story. If it was true, my soul would have been torn several times.

I have encountered many people.

Each one thought I was his or her mate.

It all started when I was just a kid. Human scientists got a hold of me and tested on me, performing surgery on my brain in order to find what causes this 'imprinting' ability. It turns out that there is a brain stem that grows seperately from the original mind. Though it is microscopic, it decides who to imprint based on what a person looks like, his or her personality, his or her ethnicity, his or her wolf color, blah blah blah. Basically it sums all this up when first meeting someone. It flips a mental switch and then you go crazy over this person.

I don't know what they did to me. But ever since then, every single werewolf I've met has fallen for me.

But I never feel attracted to anyone.

I don't have a mate.

And I never will.

"W-will you go out with me?"

I turned my head to a boy half my height. He had big, nerdy glasses, red ginger hair, and dark green eyes. Freckles covered his pale cheeks. He eminated this atmosphere of totally harmless, but I could see right through it.

I closed my locker and faced him. "Huh?" I asked innocently, looking down at him as if I seriously hadn't heard him. "Mind repeating that again?"

"U-um... I was w-wondering if you'd go out with me?" He questioned again, twiddling his thumbs. I wrinkled my nose in slight disgust. This boy was undeniably human, but unusually gaunt for a sophomore. He wore a dark red hoodie, with a black shirt underneath, accompanied by simple jeans and green convers. Basically he looked like one of those nerds that the jock guys tortured on a daily basis.

"Sorry, kid." I ruffled his hair apathetically. "I'm not gay."

He looked extremely disapointed. His thin bottom lip quivered, like he might actually have the water works right here in the middle of the hall. I figured I didn't want to make him feel bad, he probably already had a big afternoon ahead of him 'cause I could see the jocks eyeing him from the corner.

"Besides, I don't even know you." I stated bluntly. He winced, reaching up to scratch the back of his head. "Y-yeah, um.. So maybe I could get to know you... Maybe?" He wouldn't look me in the eye, and his face was turning the color of a tomato.

He just said maybe twice. I sighed in annoyance. "Good luck kid." And I left him there. As soon as the jocks felt that he was out of my protection, they decended upon him like vultures, pushing him against the lockers, crowding around him. I turned to glare at them, and they seemed reluctant, but decided it was best to scatter. I saw the kid looking at me appreciatively, but I turned my glare on him too, before exiting the school building.

No one bumped against me. Everyone knew better than to do that.

Some girls blushed and whispered. Some guys stared in hatred, envy, and awe. The usual.

 As I followed the crowd of students leaving the school for home, I glanced up at the highschool banner that read "Borderline High, where we let kids excel". It should be changed to "Borderline High, where we leave kids alone".

I hate highschool and everyone in it. The only reason why I attend school here is because no werewolves came here except me. This place is quite literally a jail cell, a neutral zone. A cage. Ever since I was young, I had a phobia of being caged. Why? Because whenever I was in a cage, it meant that I couldn't fight back. The fact that I am currently living in a neutral zone between two super-huge continent packs only makes my fear worse.

The memories came rushing like burning waves to my mind. Instantly I had a headache, and had to press my palm to my forehead for comfort.

I could feel the pain like they were doing it to me as I stood in the middle of the parking lot. I cursed under my breath and leaned against my car, a shiny red mustang with white racing strips down the hood, cover, and trunk. It was a nice ride. I'd gotten it from a rich werewolf who said I was his mate. Upon realizing that I had no feelings for him, he just threw me out and gave me a car to make me stay away. Not like I needed any encouragement.

As a group of people walked by, I caught a scent. A very weird, weird smell. Lifting my head, forgetting all about my pain, I combed the crowd with my eyes, eventually finding the person I was looking for.

Allie.

She smiled, and I could practically see her many piercings glistening in the sun. She ran over to me, screamed, and gave me a hug. I wrapped my arms around her waist and held her there, inhaling her awkward stench.

"God, I missed you and your ugly face." I smirked. She slapped the back of my head and slid down my front until her feet were touching the ground again. She looked up at me with a devil glare. "I missed you, booger face." She tapped my nose and I snorted. "Booger face?" I asked with a chuckle. "Still can't make up good enough names?"

Allie was by far my best friend in the world. My only friend. She was scary to humans and werewolves alike - her piercings were proof of that. She was covered in makeup, her eyes were pure black, her skin was tan, she was tiny, but her arms were covered in tattoos and her hair was bright purple. She liked to call herself 'gary' sometimes, I didn't know why. She was a lesbian, so no worries there.

She was the only person ever to talk to me for a reason besides the fact that I was so hot you could cook eggs on my chest. No, she didn't know about my being a werewolf. I would probably never tell her about that. She would most likely ask to be turned, or scream and pass out because she was a werewolf fanatic. If that happened, my friendship with her would go bye-bye. Down the toilet. Out the window.

"How was your trip to canada-" I was about to ask but she cut me off, pointing behind me. "Who's that scrawny kid giving you the eye over there?"

I followed her finger to where a kid wearing a red sweat shirt (the ginger from before) was staring at me. The kid, holy crap I didn't even know his name, saw me looking and blushed, turning away, hunching against the unforgiving winter wind.

I turned back to Allie and shrugged. "Don't know."

"You now," She eyed me. "Alot of people look at you when your back is turned."

"Am I just that sexy?" I joked at her, flexing my muscles for her. She rolled her eyes and slapped my arm away. I rubbed the sore spot with a sour face.

"Awe, you look so cute with that face. If only you were a girl," She sighed whistfully, off in la-la land. I sighed, smacking her butt. "Get in the car, lesbian."

"Hey!" She whirled around and prodded my chest. "Getting my butt touched by a guy does not turn me on."

"So you think I was trying to turn you on?" I wiggled my eyebrows. She furrowed hers and stuck her tongue out at me before finally getting in the car. I slammed the door on her, making her jump and squeak. Laughing, I got in the drivers side and we drove home.