Chapter 32

The car ride felt like walking the green mile.

It was much more than a mile, but, at the same time, no less heart wrenching.

It was kind of Riordan to do this. Kind of him to take me. Kind of him to throw away his notions of me and not push me away. Kind of him to risk everything.

He was warm at my side. A steady beat, a breath, a strong arm around me, crowding me to him because he knew what this meant to me.

He'd changed. As I looked up at him, watching him speak with his brother about the security we would need around the hospital, I felt again my previous fear. Something would happen to him – something would happen to me, something might break him even more than before and right when he'd started to open up to me.

My mind flashed back to seeing him in satin sheets, the brisk winter wind and the way it contrasted his warmth, his scent, his everything.

His previous mate had been so lucky. So lucky.

I didn't realize he was looking down at me soon enough and before I could turn away he caught my chin, moving to place a calming hand on my neck. I took a deep breath, as if I'd just come down from the clouds.

"You were staring," He murmured, and his brother stayed respectfully quiet in the driver's seat.

The caravan was on the freeway. Cars passed us by and I realized it had been a long time since I'd been this close to civilization, ferried from place to place, forest to forest, like something coveted and unseen.

I felt myself lean into him. "You're not wearing a seatbelt," I admonished weakly, inhaling his unique scent and wishing I'd met him under different circumstances.

He chuckled wryly and combed a hand through my hair. "Like it matters," He rested his chin on my head as I pressed my cheek to his chest, staring out onto the expanse of road and the skyscrapers glinting in the distance. "Tell me what's on your mind. And don't say it's more of before."

"It's not," I lied, putting on a smile and looking up at him. He couldn't know that I'd die for him. He couldn't, because he'd call it off, he'd pull away.

He didn't look convinced. I saw no need to convince him. In the act of trying he would know.

I leaned up and kissed his chin, and again I saw that hunger in his eyes.

"Another mile, and we'll be coming up on St. Petersburg medical." His brother intoned. He sounded far away.

The words made my chest feel like an open wound. I felt like running away, then. Hadn't quite thought of how it would feel watching her die. I never thought I'd have to.

This was all my fault. I'd drug her into this world and it had devoured her bones.

Humans weren't meant for this. For us. Fragile, powerless, like a flower in the desert. They bloom and then they're gone.

Riordan knew that more than anyone. Had lost more than anyone.

I took his hand and held it in mine, sliding my fingers in to interlock with his. He rubbed his thumb reassuringly over my skin.

What about Allies parents? Would they make it in time from overseas to say goodbye to their daughter?

Before I even registered it, we pulled off of the freeway and drove a few more blocks before inevitably pulling into the parking lot of the hospital. I looked up and saw the emergency bay with the main entrance at it's side, glass doors shimmering in the midday sun. The parking lot was half full.