Chapter 30

Early morning light filtered in through the half open window. It was gentle, bright, and warm, spilling over the two forms laying entangled on the bed. The pines swayed in the soft wind outside, a slow breeze playing with the curtains, silk swaying in elegant waves. Snow powdered the windowsill, glistening in the sun. Winter had visited early in the night.

The first thing Rio took note of was not being alone. His senses opened one by one until his eyes were the last to follow. The sweet, enticing scent betrayed who was in his arms – as well as the kitten soft black hair and freckled bare shoulders.

Rio slowly unwrapped the teen from his arms, holding his breath so as not to wake him. The sunlight cast his hair in an ethereal glow, his face calm and serene, a smile on his plush pink lips. A hand was curled near his face, his skin warm and flush to the touch.

Rio swallowed thickly, unable to look away.

He should have been angry. He should have shot out of bed like he'd touched something awful.

But how could he when touching Aaron was the best feeling he'd ever felt?

Against everything in him screaming for him to run, every iota of his being telling him this was dangerous, and he couldn't afford to be hurt again...he reached out.

He cupped the side of Aaron's face and finally let out a shuddering breath. In the light of the morning sun, with no one to see him, he could admit he loved this boy. His thumb brushed his cheek softly and it felt like everything was as it should be.

After a long time of walking in solitude, he had finally found home.

It's the curse, a part of him whimpered. This part of him barely had any struggle left in it to argue. He beat the thought down mercilessly all the same.

Just give me this, he begged. Give me this one moment, and I promise, I will live a whole life without him.

It was a lie at best. He knew.

Aaron groaned, his face scrunching up in his sleep. He shivered in the breeze, and in searching for warmth he settled himself closer to Rio, his face nuzzling into his collar bone.

Rio trembled and inhaled his unique scent, combing a hand through the boy's hair. It curled like ink around his fingers. He stilled when Aaron moaned into his skin, a happy smile on his supple lips. Rio knew Aaron had been stressed, had felt betrayed, had been...angry, at him.

He deserved it.

All at once he felt trapped, caught in a cage by this boy and he could barely breathe. Struggle as he might...until something changed, all paths would lead back to him. Back to Aaron. Always.

His strength on the matter was slowly leaving him, his will crumbling to dust, and all for this boy.

He had never deserved Anna. He surely didn't deserve Aaron either.

He made to get up, but in that moment, he realized that bright blue eyes had been staring at him. For how long, he didn't know.

A cold hand grasped his.

"Don't," Aaron murmured, his face open, young, innocent.

Rio felt himself physically lose what control he had left. He pushed Aaron into the bed, half on top of him now, his mouth on his with the fervor of a dying man. His muscles bunched as he held the boy to him, near lifting him completely off the bed. Aaron responded in kind, arms thrown around his neck, holding onto him for dear life. It surprised him at how easily Aaron gave in and submitted before his eyes, hungrily opening up to him, wrapping his legs around his hips and locking at the ankles.