Curiouser And Curiouser

Giovanna’s POV

I admired my oval silver locket as I slowly sat up in my bed. Every morning I’ve looked at the design of rose vines that covers the out necklace. When I open it up, there lays a small tiger striped rose that’s pressed, making it look as delicate as tissue paper.

After putting on my sling and brushing my hair, I went downstairs for breakfast. But on the way there, I ran into Linda.

“Oh sweetie! I was just about to talk you. We might be able to get rid of that sling today! I’ll meet you in your room after you have breakfast.”

“Thank you so much, Linda. This sling has been getting on my nerves lately. Hopefully I won’t have to wear it after today.”

“We’ll find out soon.” She gave me a reassuring smile and went on her merry way. I smiled to myself as I continued walking to the dining room. I can’t believe it’s March already. Three months have passed by so quickly. It feels so short and yet so much has happened.

“What are you smiling about?” David asked.

“I’m finally gonna get rid of this sling.”

I took my normal seat and started eating. We ate in silence until the very end when I got up.

“When will you find out about the sling?”

“Now, actually.” He looked surprised at first but then said, “Can I come? I think I hate that sling more than you do.”

“Unlikely,” I replied. For these past three months I’ve tried convincing myself that it’s part of my normal routine, but it couldn’t be forced. No matter how much I’ve faked getting used to it, I still hated it. But now I didn’t have to worry about any of that. I was finally going to be free.

“Wait, why do you hate it so much? I’m the one who had to wear it.”

An uncomfortable look spread across.

“What is it?”

“Nothing,”

“Tell me. Pretty please!” I nudged him in his side but that look didn’t leave his face.

“Nothing! It’s nothing,” he said in a defensive tone.

“C’mon, this is supposed to be a happy day! And here you are making your grumpy face, raining on the parade.”

“I’m not making a grumpy face,” he grumbled.

“Honestly, it’s like you’re a man-child. Alright because I’m all excited, I won’t question you. Even though I hate it when you do this to me.”

“Do what?”

“You know, bring something up then say forget about it. It annoys the heck out of me.” His expression was blank which made me even more curious as to what he was thinking. “Come on, let’s go. We can’t just stand here all day!”

I grabbed his hand and started running through the halls, when I abruptly stopped in front of my door. When I was about to open it, Linda came into view down the hall with a bag in her hands. We waited for her to reach the door until we went inside. She gave us a small proud grin that made me curious, but I shrugged it off. We all walked in and David and I sat on the bed next to each other. I must’ve looked nervous because I felt someone squeeze my hand. I looked up and saw David looking at me softly.

We never let go. From the moment I grabbed his hand in the dining room, all the way until now, we didn’t let go. Even when Linda’s face changed into one of pure joy and announced that I didn’t need the damn sling, he continued holding my hand. But due to the fact that I jumped up and hugged him, changed that. He chuckled while Linda left saying that she wanted to give us some privacy. I wrapped both of my arms around his neck tightly and squealed as he quickly rose from the bed and twirled me around. When he put me down, I had to hold onto his arm because the spinning made me dizzy.

“You think that I should give this back to Linda?” I asked him.

“I’ve got a better idea,” he said with a devilish grin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David thought that we should give the sling a final good riddance in a memorable way. This is how we ended up around a fire pit, nine o’clock at night, with paint all over our faces. David had blue paint pretty much splattered all over his face with hints of purple and green. I, on the other hand, went for the red paint and created zigzag and polka dot patterns. The Anthem blasted from my IPod as we sang along with it.

“I don’t ever wanna be you! Don’t wanna be just like you! What I’m sayin is,”

“This is the anthem, throw all your hands up! You, don’t wanna be you!” David sang. As the song ended, he nodded his head in a motioning way.  I took it as my signal to do the deed and drop the sling.

“You were annoying as fuck, Sling. But I thank you for being there for my arm. You will not be forgotten.”

I couldn’t help smiling when I heard David play ‘Amazing Grace’ on the kazoo he insisted on bringing. I then dropped it into the fire.

“Well that was heart touching, truly,” Melinda said. 

I looked up at the unexpected guest and smiled.

“Nice of you to stop by. Haven’t seen you in a while,” I said.

“Yeah, just wanted to check up on things. David doesn’t always like keeping me up with the current events.”

“What do you mean?”

“Oh you know. Uh things like this. Or when Josh left. What’s new in life.”

“Ah.”

I turned my head to David, but he just smiled at me. I could tell something was fishy, but I wasn’t going to press it. What if was bad? I didn’t want this day ruined by my curiosity.

“Well you two have fun with the rest of your night. I’ll just be heading on my way.” With that, she vanished. Leaving us alone again.

Well that was quick.

“Do you wanna go inside? It’s getting chilly,” I said.

“Uh yeah sure. But um before we go in, can I ask you something?”

As I put out the fire and he turned down the music, I nodded my head.

“Do you know how to dance?”

I was now walking next to him toward the back door when I responded, “Does ballet from pre-k count?”

“No like ballroom.”

“Mmmm, then no. Why?”

“Because I want you to experience a fairy tale night.”

“A what?”

He mischievously grinned at me and said, “You’ll see. Just be ready by dinner this Friday. Don’t worry about after that.”

“Should I learn how to ballroom dance?”

“No, no. Everything will be taken care of.”

“...Why?”

“Hmm?”

“Why are you giving me a ‘fairy tale night’?”

“Because... I think you deserve one.”

He smiled warmly at me, making my cheeks grow red.

Is this a date?

I didn’t have to guts to actually say that out loud, but I wish I did. Because now I’m lying in bed, 2 in the morning and wide awake. What if it is a date? Wouldn’t he have said it was a date? Or maybe it was just implied? Could Linda know? I wonder if she would give me direct answer? Maybe I can ask Melinda?

These questions flew through my mind until finally, I fell asleep. I only wish that the person who could answer them was in this bed with their arms wrapped around me.  

A/N I KNOW IT'S A FEW DAYS LATE OMIGOD IM SORRY. IVE BEEN SICK AND STUDYING JUST UGH LIFE IS ANNOYING RIGHT NOW AND YES I KNOW THIS IS A SHORT CHAPTER. BUT THE NEXT CHAPTER IS GONNA BE HELLA CUTE ~ HOPEFULLY ;) AND IN OTHER NEWS, WE'RE ALMOST AT 4000 READS! WOO! 

PLEASE VOTE/COMMENT/SHARE