Fighting Back

I can do this.

My whole body tingles with excitement and nerves, bouncing up and down on my heels as Buffy, Faith, Willow and I make our way to the dojo. Willow's carrying a bag with a bunch of supplies in it.

I can do this, I know I can. Everyone thinks that I can. Buffy thinks that I can, Willow thinks that I can, and Faith thinks that I can. If all these people who would never lie to me think I can, then I must be able to. Buffy trained me back in Sunnydale and she used to say I had a real talent for it, she still does sometimes. Willow said she thinks I have the talent to face off against these slayers... and it was Faith's idea to have me do this.

They all think I can do it, so I can. The people I'm up against aren't vampires out to kill me. And I'm not going to be completely unarmed. I'll have slayer powers to back me up. I've never had slayer powers. It seems like a cool thing to have. I always thought I could do a lot of good things with slayer powers. Now I'll know for sure if I have what it takes.

Buffy turns to me as we walk and smiles.

"So, are you ready for this Dawn?"

The spring in my step doesn't stop as I take a deep breath and try not to panic.

"Uh, yeah... I think so."

Faith speaks up.

"Now what kind of enthusiasm is that, kid? You're about to kick the crap out of fifteen slayers. Get happy."

Willow chuckles.

"What Faith said, only less about the crap kicking."

Buffy puts her arm around my shoulders and keeps smiling.

"You'll do fine Dawn. Just calm down and take things slow. Remember everything I've taught you over the years and you'll be okay."

I do my best to stop bouncing and walk like a normal person.

"I hope so."

Faith punches me in the shoulder playfully.

"Stop being so negative. These girls don't have anything on you. None of them have been listening enough to the things we've been teaching them and we want you to help whip them into shape. And you will, with the help of Red's spell."

"That's right. I'm going to give you slayer powers with that magic thing I do, and you're going to teach those mean girls a lesson."

"Plus, a few of those girls are in your class aren't they? I'm betting you'll have their respect when you knock them on their asses."

Would that really happen? I have a hard time imagining that Candy would give me any kind of respect if I manage to get the best of her. She'll probably find me later and kick the crap out of me when I can't fight back.

"I guess..."

The dojo comes into view a couple doors down. Buffy decides to give me the pleasantries.

"But no matter what happens, I want you to know that we all love you and we're proud of you."

Faith butts in.

"Now what kind of encouragement is that? She's gonna beat them and she's gonna do it before any of them know what hit them."

It's nice to hear Faith have that much confidence in me. Makes me wish I could grab her and kiss her, but I don't think that'd be the greatest idea with Buffy standing here next to me.