Chapter Nineteen

"Yes, I know, Mum." I replied for the twentieth time today.

"Alright, Honey. Remember to lock the doors when you leave the room and don't forget to pack your lugagges properly."

"Yes, mum, I will. Have a safe trip back, love you."

"I love you too."

I gave both my parents a tight hug before they got into the car and headed for the airport.

The four of us waited until their car was out of sight before heading back to our beach house.

"So, what do you guys want to do now?" Brenny asked, once we got back to the house.

"I want my beauty sleep now. Goodnight, guys." Mel replied with a loud yawn. With a slight wave of her hand, she started strolling up the stairs.

"Me too, nights guys! See you tomorrow." Paul answered and volunteered to piggyback his girlfriend up.

"Goodnight!" I replied to their retreating figures.

"Are you also going for your beauty sleep now, princess?" Brenny asked, with a hint of sadness in his voice. Looks like this boy's adrenaline is still pumping.

"Nope," I answered, popping the 'P' loudly.

His eyes twinkled with gleefulness almost immediately and he fist pumped in the air.

"Great, because I don't feel like sleeping yet." He remarked.

"Me too. So, what do you want to do now?" I sighed and plopped down on the couch and Brenny followed suit.

"What about a round of twenty questions? Since we would be living under the same roof in a few month's time, why not get to know each other better now?" Brenny suggested.

"Sounds great!" I replied.

During our meal yesterday with my parents, we talked about Brenny willing to rent one of the rooms of his house to me and Mel. Of course, with my powerful persuading skills, my parents gave me consent and they even volunteered to pay the rent for the first few months for me.

We made our way back to our room with two bottle of beer in Brenny's hands. Well, we found a few bottles of beer in my parent's room yesterday. So, I was just doing my parents a favor by sneaking it away and keeping it for myself.

I switched on the air conditioner on my way to the room and went to grab my clothes first. I picked out my favorite grey sweat shirt and a matching grey sweatpants from the pile of clothes that stacked up in my luggage. After that, I swayed my way into the washroom and changed into them.

I sat crisscrossed on the bed and waited for Brenny to get changed before popping open the beers. "So, let's start with a few basic questions first." I spoked, after sipping on a bit of the bitter yet sweet goodness.

"Sure. What's your favourite color?" he asked.

"Purple. What's yours?" I replied almost immediately. Purple has always been my favourite color since young. It's so vibrant, so who doesn't love it?

"Hey! You can't repeat my question! Try another one." Brenny protested and frowned.

Gosh, when he frowns, he looks so adorable with the few wrinkled lines visible on his forehead.

Hey, Caitlyn. No, you should not be thinking of how cute he is now, alright? You barely even know him! I smacked myself internally and focused on the question I wanted to ask.

"What is your favourite ice cream flavor?"

"Mint and chocolate chips. Next, how many guys did you date before?"

"Em, I think two. What is your favourite number?"

This went on for the next few minutes and I laughed at some of his weird answers to my even weirder questions.

With my curiosity getting the best of me, I blurted out my next question without thinking twice of the consequences. "Why did you treat me so well? I mean like, after all those pranks we've played on each other and unnecessary comments thrown to each other, why are you still treating me so kindly? And why did you kiss me back just now? I mean, you don't really have to and it was actually just to -"

I did not manage to complete my brainless mumbling, since he covered his warm palm over my mouth. That shocked me and made me shut up instantly.

"To be honest, if you were to ask me, I don't know why either. The moment I first saw you in Hayden's house, you startled me so much that I fell onto the ground," he recollected and winced at that incident.

As for me, I was trying to suppress my laughter, with his hand still covering my mouth. "However, after I turned around and saw you standing in front of me, wait, no. Correction, lying on the ground laughing at me, I knew you were different. Like, I don't know! But there was just this little attraction that I had for you. When you sobered up and looked at me, I realized that you were not like the other girls that I've dated after Thrish passed on. You were... different and beautiful too." he continued and on his comment, I blushed a little. He thought I was beautiful? Well, I wasn't expecting that.

"Then, the next thing I know, I was on the plane, sitting right next to you, on our way to Hawaii. The first time after we bumped into each other and accidentally kissed, those feelings I had started to come back. Then the second time, it started growing even deeper, until the time when we kissed in front of Alex. That was when I was really sure that I like you. You had that effect on me that not even Thrish possessed, even though I've only known you for less than a week."

He inhaled a long breath before looking into my eyes and summed up his entire speech.

"And that, is why I've been more affectionate to you, even after you locked my beloved phone for twenty-four freaking hours. Oh my dearest Caitlyn, you make me flustered and make my heart beat wildly every time you look at me, you know that? I don't even know what's happening anymore!"

I sat there, stunned. I gently removed his hand over my mouth and after a few blinks, I asked the question I was dying to ask all the time when he was speaking.

"Is that true?" I blurted.

He gave me a dumbfounded look and I added,"What you've just said, is it really true?"

"Yes, but you really do not have to answer me or anything, because I wasn't planning for you to give me any answers or anything and if you choose to ignore me or anything, you can do so, really." He clarified my doubts and I let out a huge sigh of relief and the breath which I had no idea I was holding on to.

"I'm so glad you said that, Brenny, because I think I like you too." I rushed my sentence and gave him a small smile. "And, no. I'm actually going to continue pestering you. I'm not going to sacrifice my time on another adventure to go out there and rent a room."

"I knew it! I knew I always had this effect on girls and nonetheless, you too, princess."

And just like that, the old Brenny which I was very used to, returned, and gave me a lopsided smirk and a flirty wink.

We asked a few more random questions and played a few rounds of truth or dare before the both of us got really exhausted.

We threw the few empty beer containers into the trash and I crawled into bed.

After dimming the lights, I felt the other side of the bed dip down and an arm draped over my waist in a protective manner.

"Goodnight, Brenny."

"Goodnight, princess."

Tonight has sure been a hectic night for me, and I'm really glad that I played that game with him and the braver part of me decided to ask that question.

"I like you, so darn much, you know that?" I heard him whisper right beside me.

Whether he really said that or if I was dreaming, I have no idea.

The only thing I remembered was myself snuggling closer into his comfortable bare chest, and with a contented smile etched on my face, my heavy eyelids drooped over my eyes and sleep took over me.