Hit by Explosion

Chapter Fifty-one: Hit by Explosion

When I had finally got to the correct hospital, I found myself in the waiting room with wide eyes and anxiousness bubbling through all of my body. I need to know what I’m doing here, why I’m here. The words that Periwinkle said burns in the back of my mind: It’s about Errik. Isn’t he supposed to be in Afghanistan? Isn’t he supposed to be an ocean away from me? Why would he be here, especially in a hospital?

Jessie runs towards me in her blue nursing outfit. Her eyes amplify with fear and sadness. She stops in front of me and I briskly get up on my feet, straightening my white T-shirt. I need to know the answer as to why I’m here and what happened to Errik. “Come with me,” she announces as I nod my head and we jog over to a room that is down the hall.

Periwinkle is outside, her eyes puffy, but she shows no emotion other than glossy eyes. She just looks worried. However, Freddy comes out of the room, his face full of wetness from tears. “I’m sorry,” he whispers. “I got him here as fast I could.”

Everyone clears out of the way so I’m able to get through, and once I open the door, it closes behind me and I’m left inside the hospital room. Tension fills up quickly once I’m alone and when I see him in the bed, I feel like gravity wants to pull me down. His face his red and scarred, his arms are covered in black and purple bruises. He breathes, but only slightly.

The doctor comes in, but no one else does. I can’t say a word. I feel like the wind got knocked out of me, literally. Dr. Carson, as I read his name tag, leans against the sink. His face is full of sympathy and I can tell he’s trying to give me a few moments to regain my thoughts.

“W-what happened?” I finally say, a tear streaming down my face at the sight of Errik in the bed.

“As I can recall from Freddy, he was in contact with an explosion that occurred. He was close, but not so close that it killed him. He’s alive, but barely. We haven’t exactly gathered too much information yet, but from what we can decipher is that his leg and shoulder is badly broken, his hearing may be bad—as in he may have a hard time hearing, but he’s not deaf—and he has a concussion. But with that, he is in a coma and it looks like it will only be for a week. However, there is a chance he won’t make it. With the amount of damage that has already been done to him can cause his brain to fail, especially when the explosion was so close to his ears. It’s not a high risk, but there is a chance.”

“What percentage?” I question, my voice shaky.

“About a thirty-five percent chance he won’t make it.” Dr. Carson nods his head in confirmation, biting his lip. He then mumbles something I don’t get, but he leaves the room afterwards.

I, on the other hand, take a seat next to the bed where a round chair is. I take his hand and kiss it, sniffling. I had never thought that I would see him like this, in such a bad shape. Just to think he sent me a letter saying he was so happy to hear from me and sounding as if he wasn’t in trouble. But now seeing him like this makes me second guess, makes me wonder what the hell he was doing. How much trouble was he into? What were they doing?

And thinking that I was at our place all happy and now here in sadness, just makes me know what could happen in just two seconds. At least the chance is low.

The door suddenly opens and Freddy comes in. I take notice in his army suit and think that maybe he just came back from Afghanistan. But as I look more closely, I see that he has a few blood stains on the shirt and pants. Whose blood is that? How did it get there?

“They were going to keep him there, but I told them no. I fought hard him to come back. They were already saying that he kept on passing out, but I told them to bring a plane or helicopter and come here. If he was truly dying, I would want you to be the last person he sees. I’m . . . Raven, I am so sorry.” He begins crying and I can’t handle it either, so I start too. “I should’ve just yanked him out of the way; he would’ve been fine.”

“Freddy, don’t think like that! You’re a soldier. You try the best you can,” I admit through my sobs. “For what it’s worth,” I say, trying to stop crying. “I am so thankful that you brought him here just in case.”

We both sniffle and afterwards, we chuckle, knowing that when he cries, I do too. It’s a small habit that happens when someone cries and I can actually feel their pain or feel sympathy. “I just can’t believe it,” he says. “We were just walking around, and then this Afghan didn’t mind his own business and started shooting at us with his crew. They threw grenades and several of our men were injured, but Errik was the only one who was close enough to be put in this fatal position.” He wipes his nose with his thumb as he leans against the railing of the bed. “It isn’t war, though, Raven; before Errik went into his coma, he told me that he’s resigning because of the dangers of the army and he doesn’t want to put you through more hell after this.”

I nod, trying so hard not to cry. “I love you, Freddy,” I say, not knowing what else to do.

“And I love you,” he says, embracing me in his chest. “I am really sorry, Ray.”

“Don’t be,” I reply. “You tried your best; you’ve done all that you could.” After we get out of the hug, I ask, “So what happens now?” I try so hard not to look at Errik’s motionless body, so instead, I either look around the white and empty room or at Freddy.

“I have to go back,” he announces as he opens the door.

“Okay.” I nod.

We step out and only Periwinkle is sitting down, since Jessie is off doing work. “We good to go?” she asks.

I look back at Errik, knowing that I don’t want to see him in the state he is in and not wanting to be here any longer, I nod. “Yes.”