Mother-Daughter Bond

Chapter Fourteen: Mother-Daughter Bond

We lie on the king sized bed in my bedroom. We face each other, tears slowly dripping out of our eyes and onto the sheets of the pillows. We didn't say anything after the glass broke. I was held in her arms as she calmed me down, and we walked up the stairs so she can put me to rest. But I had told her to come next to me and hold me, like she used to as I was a child.

            Being here with her makes memories race through my mind as I remember my childhood from getting scrapes and bruises from riding bikes, or if someone made fun of me and teased me like all the bullies on our street did. They told me that I wasn't good enough to be around such a high-class neighborhood, and that my family and I should live with the poor. As a rich daughter, I never paid any attention to them.

 "They're all spoiled brats that have no respect for anyone else but themselves," my mother would say.

            I bet they have horrible parents, I would tell myself. Sometimes, I was right. I was outside all the time, seeing how all the kids interacted with their parents. Some of them had issues, like they're parents were getting divorced or one of them was cheating, some had parents that would come home drunk. And I know for a fact that some of them did drugs, because I was over at a friend's house one day and her mother was doing something bad with them, though I cannot remember what it was.

            But after a while, she too, would pick on me so I assume that it was due to her mother. But I guess in order for those kids that teased me and hurt my feelings, were just trying to gain security from their own life as they were having problems. Though it doesn't make it a right to bully. It's just making everyone's impression on them a lot worse, thinking that those who do bully are cowards.

            "You have such beautiful eyes," my mother interrupted my thoughts.

            A slight smile crept up over my lips as I say, "Thank you," very softly. I don't know what I should feel with my mother again. If I should keep holding a grudge, let it go, or hold it but pretend I don't. It's been about seven to eight years of not having a mother-daughter moment; to laugh with her, to not be with her, to not hold her in my arms and hug her tight, to not tell her everything that happened to me the other day or that morning. It feels like a lifetime that we haven't bonded, and as that lifetime passed by, it's like we're now strangers but know each other's names and what happened in our past.

            "What is it, sweetheart? Is everything okay?" she asks.

            I don't know how to respond. Not everything is okay. Kenton's gone, I met someone new that I don't believe I have feelings for, my friends are isolating me from our group because of my "actions," my mother and I are actually bonding that we haven't done in a while, she wants me to become her maid of honor at her wedding, and on top of it all, my father is dying.

            I've repeated the whole list in my head many, many times and I just cannot adjust to the reality of it all. Should I tell her the truth? Should I keep it from her and tell her a lie? I do want to prevent having a long deliberation on any of the subjects, because whenever I do bring up something she usually argues and we go into a discussion about it.

            But what if I do tell her what's on my mind? Would she be there for me like she usually has? Would she even care? Would we have an argument over any of the subjects?

            If I tell her anything about what has happened to me during the past few months, what will she think? Would she be disappointed if I cut myself? Would she be worried that I'm hiding away from everyone else because of Kenton's death? Would she be happy about me meeting Errik? Would she even support me to recover from Kenton's death to hang out with Errik?          What would she think of Periwinkle, Freddy, and Jessie and their argument against me?             Can I tell her why I can't decide on being her maid of honor? Will she give me any advice on my decision on it?