The Truth

Sam. 

Death. Quick and easy. I hope. The blazing heat of the fire is still burning my face. I don’t see what happened behind me, but I hear a crack, a thud and a scream. Behind my eyelids I see nothing but Jett’s face. After I die he’s going to find out what I did. How I killed our mothers. How I deprived him of a motherly touch in his life. How I caused his life to be in ruins. How my selfishness stopped me from telling him myself. A tear trickles down my cheek but soon dries into my face. Long after I’m gone Jett is going to hate me and nothing I can say or do will change that.

A loud growl rips me from my thoughts. I’m pushed away from the heat of the fire and I drink the cool night air into my lungs. Leaning on top of me is a large black wolf with eyes the colour of the surface of the moon.

“Jett...” I whisper but he jumps off of me immediately, making me lie behind him as he crouches in a protective position and growls. I see Bethany over Jett’s massive frame. She’s staring at Jett’s form with wide eyes.

“I wonder would you be so quick to save him if you knew the truth,” Bethany starts and I feel a sinking feeling in my gut. “I wonder would you still want to preserve his pathetic life after learning that he killed your mother.”

That catches Jett’s attention. I can sense it as he’s tense. I gulp loudly. Jett cocks his head to the side.

“You heard me. Sam Tatum killed your mother. And his own. He started the fire they perished in. He killed them.”

I hear Jett let out a slight whimper. Oh God. Please don’t hate me, Jett.

“He stayed outside the house, watching them burning alive. Hearing their screams...” she drawls out the whole sentence. Jett turns to look at me with saucer sized eyes filled with tears. He whimpered at me.

“I’m so sorry...”

Jett turned back around to Bethany, blinking at her.

Kill me now. So I don’t have to watch my Jett suffer over the truth.

“Shut up you bitch!” I hear Felicity shriek. “Jett, you know that didn’t happen. You know.

“Hush you,” Serena calls over to Felicity who is hunched over Caleb’s body. The cold fact that Bethany snapped his neck slaps me in the face and I let out a mangled breath. The fire, the heat, the wolf... all my memories of the night come flooding back in. Some unfamiliar and some familiar. I don’t know what else to believe. I let out a cry from sheer confusion.

What’s real and what isn’t?

Jett stands motionless in front of me. I look up at Riley who is looking down at me with a mixture of pity and hate. I didn’t know such a look existed.

“You’re just like your father,” Bethany sneers at me and my head snaps up to her, as does Riley’s. Her eyes open wide as if suddenly realising what she had just said.

“He is nothing like me,” Riley snarls at her.

“I know that dear...” she quickly says.

“Then why did you say that?!” he screams at her, in her face. She furrows her eyebrows and glares at him.

“He’s not your son.”

I can’t breathe. I can barely think or see. Am I even here?

“What do you mean he isn’t mine?” Riley asks her in urgent tones.

“I mean, your mate had an affair and conceived that monstrosity,” she explains with her voice hardened. I can’t comprehend any of this. What if this is another one of her lies? What if it isn’t?