Say What?

He pulls me up off of the wet, cold forest ground by my elbow and I follow him, just looking at him in a daze.

“How the hell did you know I was there?” I ask, suddenly breathless.

Sam shrugs, “It’s a perk of being mates, I guess. Knowing where your mate is,” he smiles at me, “I could tell you were following me.”

I stop in my tracks, ripping my arm from his grasp, “I was not following you. Unlike some people, I am certainly not a creeper who follows people into their bedrooms at insane hours of the morning!” my voice squeaks at the end. Sam blinks at me.

“One, I didn’t follow you. I sensed you. Two, I am not a creeper. Every day of my life I have been yearning to see you,” he grasps me, “to touch you. And three, how did you know to go to the woods?” He looks right into my eyes and I let out a shaky breath.

“I don’t know.”

He nods as if proving a point. I shiver from the cold. A flash of concern goes across his face, “Are you cold?”

“No,” my chattering teeth betray me in that lie. He takes me in his firm arms, making sure that every part of me is touching him. I shudder from the pure pleasure and practically melt into him. He chuckles and pulls back.

“Are you just trying to stall me getting you home?”

I scrunch my eyebrows together and put a space between us, “No.” I stalk in front of him, refusing to look back. But I can hear his footsteps following me. By the time we get to my house I am thoroughly freezing. I turn around to Sam.

“Thanks for walking me back, although it was pointless. So you better run off to um business?” I spin back around and open the door. Something catches it when I try to shut it. Sam is still standing there, holding the door from closing with a well muscled arm. My teeth chatter yet again. Fuck it. 

“You’re freezing," he states obviously. 

“That is why I’m going back to the warmth of my bed,” I try to shut the door again but he holds it firmly and stares me down. Although we're the same height he makes me feel smaller. More vulnerable. Realising he isn’t going to leave me alone I sigh and reluctantly make a motion for him to come in.

“Get some juice and make yourself at home or whatever, I’m going to bed,” I tell him and run up the stairs before he can follow me anymore. I am itching to be near him again within five minutes of going upstairs but I ignore the itch and try to find some warmth under the covers that never comes. A few moments later the door creaks open and I expect Dad to ask if I’m awake, but instead my bed dips down at the side and someone gets in.  I should be panicked, but I’m calm. When I open my eyes again Sam is lying beside me, studying my face as if it’s a map.

“This is a new level of creepy,” I tell him. He moves his arms so that I am cradled between them and snuggled right up to his chest. Which is bare. Oh God. My heart picks up a rate.

“Then why aren’t you running away?” he asks me. I look up at him.

“I can’t,” unable to resist I snuggle into his chest again. Since when was I gay? I can’t recall ever being attracted to a guy before. Is that what I am? Am I attracted to him? Obviously I am considering the fact that I am being embraced by a half naked guy.

“I can’t either. It hurt me when you left,” he whispers to me, sounding vulnerable.

“When did I leave?” I ask, confused. I haven’t left anyone from anywhere.